Brine in your Eye

 




-Amit Ranjan

And the Father asked Brian -
Why do you like to see the sea so? 
Brian said - ‘Because what I see, will be saw. 
Yesterday I saw an alive god and a dead dog
I saw them by the sea and they’ll go on my blog.’
And  Brian by the watery Miramar brine, said -
‘The ocean has all the answers, whether read or not read.’

The surgeon called and said - 
‘I’m sorry, I’m busy with a body.’
And I said - ‘I’m not sorry,
I’m busy with a body of poetry, and that of a fish.’

And on that lazy Goan morning
And the dreamy-eyed puffing 
Brian said - ‘She’s had her soup
And so she’s in a good mood. 
And has asked me - "Would it be rude
To ask him to pay for his food 
By speaking to our students about something?"’ 
So I spoke about nothing. 
And they said they understood everything.
I spoke about my battered sole -
Or was it buttered? 

And then I hitched my wagon to some star
To a beach not far 
But it took rather long 
The distance always follows the length of the song that’s playing. 

At the radio station that morning
I had heard a whisper 
‘You’re going to meet your mirror.’ 

Colva’s waters were in some strange trance
And I saw you and me dance 
On the waves 
The waves that search
The waves that call 
And you said - ‘Oh your oceanic smell
Casts some bewitching spell.’

We were transported from some Virgin Islands
And you in your striped thiefly tee 
And our footprints on the sands 
Lashed, washed, nowhere 
And yet transported from there to here. 

Your eye would say there’s no salt
And that’s not your fault 
That you can’t see the crazy star
Isn’t the fault of the sky 
It’s the habits of the eye. 

Lean forward, you’ll hear a whisper
Brian said - ‘The ocean has the answer.'

(Miramar beach, Goa
January 2024)

Comments