Watching Vasco

Cdr. Narayanan (Retd.) with Vasco Watch. 



-Brian Mendonca

This morning we decided to drive to Vasco on a rain-swept day. I wanted to hold the Vasco Watch issue which was on the stands this morning. It was carrying an ad about my book release in Vasco next week. A digital edition would not do. 

VW has always been a part of the ethos of Vasco. Every fortnight it gives you the local buzz of Vasco. It is distributed free and sustains itself purely on ad revenue. 

Started by Cdr TRA Narayanan (Retd.) and his wife Janani, this is one success story - its print run leaping from 7 k to 15 k over the last 25 years. Often one comes across scoops and stuff that even mainstream dailies are wont to come by. 

We met at the WISH store, first floor, Our Lady of Guia building, Vasco (above Monginis / Tea Corner). WISH is a beautiful acronym standing for Women's Initiative for Self-Help. They are supported by ARZ, an NGO helping vulnerable women to stand on their feet. Cdr. was a managing trustee for ARZ for several years. 

When I reached out to Cdr. Narayanan to think of a space to release my third book of poems, 'Jasmine City: Poems from Delhi,' he suggested the WISH store. When we met there I felt it was the perfect space to share poetry. 

The upcycled and recycled fabrics made into bags and folders were reasonably priced and made great gift items. It reminded me of People Tree, Connaught Place, Delhi which has sadly closed down. Repurposing the place for poetry made good business sense. 

Cdr. Narayanan was instrumental in hosting a reading of my first book of poems 'Last Bus to Vasco: Poems from Goa' way back in 2006. I have also read at his residence for his brainchild 'Coffee with Kavita' giving a platform to budding poets. 

Ten years back I read for Meghdoot, a poetry event by Cdr. Narayanan. This was at the Bogmallo Beach Resort, Bogmallo. It was a monsoon reading in June. Like what we will be having next week on 20 June. 

So I am combing my treasured copies of Vasco Watch from my perch in Porvorim. It makes me feel I am on the streets of Vasco once more. You can be sure we will be heading to La Paz hotel, Vasco for their street food festival aptly titled 'States on the Streets' from 14-23 June 2024. 

It was advertised in 4 colour in the latest issue of Vasco Watch, Volume 25, number 7; 12-27 June 2024. The local paper I subscribe to, had no clue of it. Keep it up Cdr. Narayanan! Thank you for the copies of Vasco Watch. 
--------------------------
Pic by Brian Mendonca taken on 12 June 2024. Video and pic of WISH store, Vasco, by Cdr. Narayanan (Retd.). Updated 13/6/24.

Comments