Rain on the Rafters

 


-Brian Mendonca

What is the rain telling me
As it beats on the rafters in June? 
Does it remind me
of what I have achieved
Or makes me go chasing the moon. 

Life is beautiful
in its precious parts
Appreciate what you have come through. 
To stand today, to smile is an art
There is only so much you can view. 

Em casa de cinquenta, 
eu tenho uma ano mais, 
The colours change, the meanings change
I look at existence anew. 

There are ways 
I could have done it differently
Some say, 'I had it all for the asking.'
But let me be me, as I plot my steps
What merit is it to stumble through life 'amasquing'? 

(Sunday, 9 June 2024
Porvorim, Goa) 

Notes

Em casa . . . : (Portuguese) 'In the house of fifty I have but one year left. '
Amasquing (neologism): To put on various masks. Reference to the masques in Shakespeare. 

------------------

Pic taken by Brian Mendonca outside Campal sports Complex, Panjim on 11 June 2024. Updated 13/6/24.


Comments