Sheer Khurma on Eid ul-Fitr

With Shadab Khan

 
Sheer Khurma offered by Shadab on Eid ul-Fitr. 

-Brian Mendonca

I looked at the crescent moon and was moved by its breathtaking beauty. When I looked again after a while it was gone. This Eid ul-Fitr, I was yet to discover, would be truly special. 

Sometime around this time last year before Holi I was admiring the Shigmo display at the roundabout at the KTC bus stand, Panjim. Traffic being what it was in the late afternoon, I moved towards the Mandovi bridge at a snails pace. 

Suddenly the rent-a-cab ahead braked. The result was a merry mishap with three cars bumping into each other, with mine in the middle. The local tourists in the cab stepped out, made a scene and tried to extort money from me. The vehicle behind me meanwhile manoeuvred its way out of the spot. 

When things began to escalate, the car which was behind me returned to the scene. The driver stepped out and said, 'I was in the car behind you. Sorry for the damage. I'd like to pay for it.'

Meanwhile the cops discovered the cab had no licence. The cab owner decided that discretion was the better part of valour and vamoosed from the scene. 

Then began my relationship with Shadab Khan - for that was his name. Shadab supervised the repairs of my vehicle in the following days while I was at work. He paid for the repairs and even delivered it to my residence at 1 a.m.

Later I asked him why he returned, when he could have vanished. He said, 'I did not like the way they were speaking to you.'

Today I called to wish him for Eid. He was thrilled to hear me and asked if I would like some sheer khurma. I told him that we had ordered mutton biryani for lunch. Only the sheer khurma was missing. I also shared that in Delhi the Zafar family used to invite me every Eid for biryani and kheer. 

So I readily agreed. In a while he was back where he had met me last year - this time handing over the kheer instead of my car. 

Shadab informed me that he would be getting married soon, and invited me for the nikah and reception next month. I promised we would come. 

'Next year, Insha Allah, I will invite you to my house for Eid, ' he said as he rode off on his scooter. 
____________________
Pix taken by Brian Mendonca on 11 April 2024 at Porvorim, Goa. Updated 12/4/24.

Comments