Poetry on the beach

Event poster. 

Reciting 'Traveller' by Brian Mendonca. 

Poetry and song on the beach. 

Students perform Raag Yaman. 

-Brian Mendonca

Today we celebrated World Poetry Day in a special way. I was invited as a special guest by Ms. Clarinda Dias, Head, Department of English to Dhempe College, Miramar, Goa. What was most exciting was that it was going to be held on the beach. This was after a sumptuous lunch at Miri. 

Students Atharva Gayak, Yash Apte, and Mihir Chopdekar performed a flute and tabla recital of raag Yaman. Raag Yaman is an evening raag and is attributed to Amir Khusro (1253-1325), Sufi poet and mystic, disciple of Nizamuddin Auliya of Delhi. 

I recalled how I listened to raag Lalit played by Pandit Chaurasia at the Lodhi Gardens, Delhi. This raag is mentioned in my poem "'Indian' Sunday." It describes how literature and music transform my life. The poem ends with a couplet from a ghazal by Ghulam Ali

I played the ghazal 'Kaise Sukoon Paoon' on my guitar to recreate the musical heritage of Delhi.  Ghalib, Mir, and Dara Shukoh all wrote ghazals.  

In conversation with me was Rochelle Fernandes. She handed out copies of my latest book Jasmine City: Poems from Delhi which I had brought along with me. 

'Why poetry?' she asked. It is the most intense, I felt, poetry is truth. 'Are you writing for the reader?' I said no. The reader is not obliged to read my words. You have to be chosen. 

I shared that my first book 'Last Bus to Vasco: Poems from Goa' was a kind of 'voicing out.' It made me aware of myself as a poet. It made me believe in myself. Though the journey was not easy, as my poem 'Praxis' will testify. 

'Do you write on any particular themes?' was the next query. I don't write about a theme consciously. I must be moved to write a poem - which is often enough. Nature moves me, travelling moves me, beauty moves me. Sometimes I take the voice of the marginalized, like the homeless in my poem 'Sleeve of Care.' Having a sound base in literature gives you the confidence to write your own verse. 

In the Q&A a student asked 'I write only one line at times - is that poetry?' I said one line can be eloquent enough. If it goes with a picture which has moved you it can touch your soul. 'I write poetry, but I am not yet ready to share it' said another. I felt that was perfectly fine quoting the example of Emily Dickinson. 

However, if you have the gift of writing poetry think about sharing it. There may be so many others going through the same thing. T.S. Eliot said the poet has to 'purify the dialect of his[her] tribe.' Write about social causes, write about justice. 'Bol do' as Faiz would say. 'Ab waqt heh.'

Rochelle commented on the minute details in my poems. My poems were like social documents. Later, one would need to look at poetry instead of history to understand how people lived and what times they were going through. 

Another student said, 'When I read your blog I feel I am talking to you.' This is perhaps because I always try to put fresh content on my blog. Having written over 1000 blogposts I still manage to entice novelty.

All my three books of poems are self-published. Mainstream presses do not entertain new poets - it is too risky for them.  'Jasmine City' (2023)  costed 50k for a print run of 500 copies. The artwork was another 10k. It is doing very well and is also on Flipkart, It will recover the cost in the reprint. 

A direct sale benefits the poet. Otherwise, book stores and distributors keep anywhere between 40-50% of the printed price of the book. Self-publishing - and marketing - make good business sense. 

We read 'Traveller' together. (See video above) The referential rendering prompted me to upload it on my YouTube channel. I have also provided the poem for reference and enunciation. 

We ended with all of us reading 'Call Me.' Ms. Dias, like a true patron of the Arts, bought 10 copies of my book for the Department. It was a singular way to celebrate World Poetry Day. Respect for Team Dhempe College!

-----------------------------
Updated 26/3/24.

Comments