Anima Christi

Youth Choir of Holy Family Church, Porvorim

                                                               
- Brian Mendonca

The hymn  'Anima Christi' was performed  during the Midnight Mass for the Easter Service last night. Rendered beautifully in voices by the Youth Choir of the Holy Family Church, Porvorim, Goa, the Latin words reach back in time as they flow into each other creating a profound sense of calm, surrender and deliverance. Sung as the post-communion hymn, it seemed to provide closure to the Triduum. 

'Anima Christi' is sung around the world with the Latin language as the great unifier of a tradition of liturgical music. There are solo, and group renditions, with various accompaniments. For yesterday's service, the violinists Chernol Mendonca, Weinchel Barretto, Aiden Fernandes, Lilian, and Adleigh played beautifully, penetrating the midnight silence as the music reached the heavens. 

Performing to such standard takes immense amount of hard work, perseverance, and practice. The choir led by Solomon was equal to the occasion and created the ambience to appreciate the deliverance by the Lord, recalling their escape from Egypt, to the present day. That the musical tradition is nurtured in Goa and is valued by the youth is a matter to be appreciated. To sing effortlessly in Latin is no mean feat. 

'Anima Christi' is a prayer that dates back to the early-fourteenth century with a version existing in the library of Avignon in the prayer book of  Cardinal Peter de Luxembourg who died in 1387. The hymn is medieval in origin and is believed to have been composed by Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556) to be sung before his Spiritual Exercises. 

Here is the hymn in Latin with a line by line translation in English. To listen to the tune and see the notes, click here for the score:

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Corpus Christi, salva me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Water from the side of Christ wash me.

Passio Christi, conforta me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Within your wounds, hide me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Let me never be separated from you

Ab hoste maligno defende me.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
In hora mortis meae voca me.
In the hour of my death, call me,
Et jube me venire ad te,
And bid me come to you,
Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te,
That with your saints I may praise you
In saecula saeculorum.
Forever and ever.

Amen.

-------------------------------
Photo credit: Winifred Margaret Norris. Video above of the Virgo Cantamus Vocal Ensemble. Sources: listennotes(dot)com, franciscanmedia(dot)org, musescore(dot)com. Updated 7/4/24.

Comments