Turning the pages of poetry

In conversation with Anwesha Singbal. 


- Brian Mendonca

The day started beautifully today. I was going to be interviewed. After reading my book of poems on Delhi, the versatile Anwesha Singbal suggested we talk about it. 

Anwesha has this series of interactions with personalities from Goa, called Page Turner which is hosted on YouTube. 

I was honoured to have garnered a spot as a Page Turner. I felt valued. This was a way that society acknowledged my work. It was also a way of recording the living heritage of Goa. 

It was Anwesha's proactive nature that made this interview happen within the hectic Christmas week. She and Palash Agni (camera) made me feel very comfortable. Page Turner was made possible by Palash Agni studios. 

Anwesha liked the titles of the poems in my book titled Jasmine City: Poems from Delhi. She was intrigued by the titles '7th October' and '15 August'. She wondered how I could think of writing a poem like 'Your Auburn Hair' in the dentist's chair. 

She was all praise for the artwork by Kallol Majumder which makes the poems come alive. The melding of poetry with the history of Delhi - as in '1321'-  was noteworthy. 
 
Anwesha asked a beautiful question about my three volumes of poetry. How do they relate to different generations?  I replied that it is important for a poet to write at every stage of life. That way readers of all ages will have something to connect with. 

On the usage of Hindi, I shared that every poem dictated its language. There was no editing for these poems written as far back as 1998.

We wrapped up the encounter with Anwesha asking me to read a poem of my choice. I chose "'Indian' Sunday" - a poem about how I spent my time on a typical Sunday in Delhi. 

Afer three volumes, what's next, Anwesha asked. Let the universe decide. 
______________________

Pic. taken on 21 December 2023 in Nuvem. Pic courtesy Anwesha Singbal. Updated 22/12/23.

Comments