Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam

 

With Sushama and Kishore. 

- Brian Mendonca

Meeting Sushama and Kishore is always invigorating. After lunch with bhakri rotis prepared specially for Queenie, we settled down to singing carols accompanied by the guitar. 

Konkani dulpods were up next. The Portuguese favourite 'Encosta tua Cabecinha' followed. Sushama read the lyrics with glee, explaining the meaning to Kishore. I made a mental note to include 'Eu Daria Minha' in my repertoire next. 

Kishore, who is learning Sanskrit, spoke about the beautiful thoughts expressed in the language. He quoted the verse of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam and explained its context. 

He was struck by the lyricism of Kalidasa. I shared that Yashodhara Charite by the 13th century Jain poet Janna opens my poem '"Indian" Sunday' included in my collection Jasmine City: Poems from Delhi. 

When asked to read a poem from the volume I read 'November Moon'. They also appreciated my poem 'Thanatos' and the evocative artwork. 

We discussed Mumbai, Goa, Delhi, and Pune. Written in my younger years, the Delhi poems, influenced by rasa theory, evoke Neruda's line, 'Entre labios e labios e cuidades' [Between lips and lips are cities.] 

As we left, Sushama and Kishore gave us gifts to take home. They bought copies of Jasmine City like true patrons of the arts. As we searched for a place to take a photo, I suggested one in the cosy corner by the book shelves. I also noticed that atop it there was a model of the charkha - a symbol of self-reliance, of peace, and inclusivity - so wonderfully epitomized by Sushama and Kishore. 
----------------------------------
Pic taken by Brian at Sushama and Kishore's home in Powai on 29 December 2023. Updated 30/12/23.

Comments