Elaichi chai for ₹5

Footpath chai. 

- Brian Mendonca

This morning after I had spent an hour on the balcony of our place at Kharghar, I trotted down to pick up some breakfast. 

By the time I reached the junction at Sector 10, the office crowd had thinned out - or had already vamoosed - for work after the long Christmas weekend. 

Feeling satiated after some idlis and a masala dosa from anna's cart I spied a man offering tea across the road. I make it a point to have his tea if I am in the vicinity. 

I am so impressed by the elan with which he sits umpreturbed, waiting for his regulars - or just anyone - to walk up and request a sip. 

He provides steaming elaichi chai for Rs. 5 in a small paper cup. 

Money has value here. When I took a short ride in a rickshaw he asked for ₹23. That's right, ₹23.

Naresh - that’s the tea-seller's name - offers this service from early morning till 9 p.m. He even has his lunch at his post. What dedication! 

Looking at the flora around him, I asked him to identify a familiar tree behind him, also found in Goa. He said with a flourish 'badam.' The tree (almond) seems to invite you to sit on the marble portion provided around the trees and sip your worries away. 

I notice there is a towering badam tree just across our place, its forest of green leaves just permitting a few redcoats to peep out. 

It gives me a sense of home. 
---------------------------
Pic taken by Brian Mendonca at Sector 10, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai on 26 December 2023.

 

Comments