Like a dolphin

737 Dolphin Travels arriving at Panjim. 

-Brian Mendonca

Today had a disastrous start when I dropped Dwayne for practice at 10 a.m. only to be informed later that it was cancelled at 8.30 a.m. due to bad weather. My hopes of a placid start to the day went up in smoke - and so did I. 

I mentally made a note of checking for updates on the WhatsApp group before leaving home. 

With the kind of digging going on along the CHOGM road skirting Porvorim, you don't want to step out unnecessarily. 

You will be surprised how difficult it is to get a photo when you want one one. The nearest person had closed his shop with the notice 'Opening from 23 November' pasted on the front. He probably was not there, as Queenie said, due to Diwali. The next shop said they did only flexi prints, and another swank looking one pleaded that the camera was not working. We got them done finally but way ahead. 

After I changed the curtains and had the fans cleaned, the rooms breathed a fresher air. After the thunderstorm last night the house was dusty. 

The highlight of the day was me scurrying to the interstate bus stand at Patto, Panjim to receive a parcel sent from Mumbai. The bus was named Dolphin, which I thought was rather unusual. 

As I waited I spoke to my printer about the proof of my third book of poems - this one on Delhi. He said he would pick it up tonight and do the needful. 

Book details of Jasmine City - Poems from Delhi. 

I had been struggling to enter the revamped ISBN portal after not being able to remember my password. I was feeling low that we were ready to print - finally! - but I could not see the status of my book on the portal. I felt viewing the status would galvanize me to tie up the loose ends and get it out. A deadline is a good motivator. 

I finally got into isbn.gov.in late at night by using the 'Change password' feature. There is also a 'Remember password? ' feature which Google helpfully asks you, and which I reluctantly used, to prevent such a fiasco happening in future. 

I look at my study table at home. It is a total mess. But, I reason, it is only out of churning that something new can emerge. If you stay in your comfort zone, nothing new is likely to happen. 

MH03CV7371 rolled in at around 5 p.m. The bus had left Mumbai at 11 p.m. last night. No doubt it must have braved the inclement weather. But like the dolphin 🐬 it kept popping up for air. It stayed on course till it reached its destination and deliver its precious cargo safe and sound. 
------------------------------
Pic taken by Brian Mendonca at interstate bus stand, Patto Panjim on 8 November 2023. Updated 9/11/23.


Comments