Hyder to the rescue

Hyder taking the Cradiac apart. 


 -Brian Mendonca

Last night Dwayne and me noticed that there was a sound coming from the bike when you turned it. Avito of Jose Cabral cycles, said to bring it in. It was there that Hyder worked his magic. 

In his mild, unassuming way he seemed to know the bike like the back of his hand. He soon set it right and came to supervise when Dwayne and me trialled it. 

He extolled the benefits of cycling and gave Dwayne tips to mount the bike. He helped us heft the cycle out of the car and put it back. 

I have Hyder to thank for a stint of vigorous riding round our block today between 8.30 to 9 p.m. It was a pretty impromptu decision but I am glad I made it. The bike moved like a dream taking the twists and turns, the slopes and climbs with consummate ease. 

My target was 10 rounds. Then I raised the bar and told myself, 'Ride till the garden lights are put out at 9.' I did and touched 13 rounds. This has become my benchmark. If I can do it everyday it would be great. 

I took courage from my sleeveless 'Bewakoof' tee which had the words:
   TRUST
     YOUR
 ABILITY

The last alphabet of each word made up the word 'TRY. ' That's what I did. 

I came home upbeat and switched on the radio to catch the end of 'The News at 9' related on FM from Delhi. This was followed by ghazals taking me back to my days in Delhi and my volume of poems on the city. 

Queenie was making mutton curry to celebrate Sunday tomorrow. Dwayne was practising his guitar. It was good to be home. 
-----------------------
Photo taken by Brian Mendonca at Jose Cabral cycle gallery, Mala, Goa on 4 November 2023.

Comments