Cafe diaries

 

-Brian Mendonca


Sometimes in the morning for breakfast, you just want to have that poori bhaji prepared by your favourite restaurant. Minutes later I found myself in Cafe Bhonsale, Porvorim which has become a hot spot on the busy CHOGM road headed to the sea. 

I was alone. So I had plenty of time to observe what was going on around me. In the middle of my bhaji I saw a youngish lad - perhaps 25 years in age - step inside. On crutches. He had only one leg. He was accompanied by a lady who was looking for a free table. The entry was so dramatic that even the attendant at the pau bhaji section outside peeped in to have a second glance. It was so inspiring. 

As I reflected on what may have happened to the lad, two Goans occupied the table behind me. I was delighted to hear them speaking in saxtti Konkani. They seemed like tiatrists. The one who was the more garrulous of the two was talking about how he had ordered a tree for Christmas. Already. One asked the other when he would be going to Bomai. The other said by 11th. 

Coming to this cafe always refreshes us. When you look around you there are so many lessons for life one can learn from.

Comments