Hoisting the flag: I-Day 2023



                        Text of the speech on Independence Day by Dr. Brian Mendonca

Good morning everyone. My good wishes to the governing body of Devashri Society, members and residents of Devashri Society, and my dear friends.

Today I have unfurled the flag on your behalf: on behalf of every little child in Devashri, every homemaker, and every person who goes to work and waits to come back to this beautiful, sylvan location - Devashri Garden.

When we look at the colours of the flag, let us be reminded of the significance and symbolism of the colours. Saffron is for courage. Today we see the flag enduring 76 years and flying proudly, independently, and free. Let us rededicate ourselves with all the courage it takes to maintain the values of this nation. 

White is for peace - because without peace there cannot be harmony. Green is for harvest, for progress, for development. Each of these colours are bound inextricably with one another. One cannot exist without the other.

I leave you with a few thoughts which I'd like to share today as India stands at this momentous occasion celebrating so many years of Independence - Are we happy with where we are today?

There are four things I would like to place before you, to reflect upon, as we go move along in our 77th year of Independence - because living in a society like this, it is possible to be hermetic, it is possible to be closed-in, within our own world. You need to go out, you need to see the world, you need to interact more with people all around. 

For some of you who do not know me, I am a traveller-poet. My name is Dr. Brian Mendonca, and I am coming out with my third book of poems, on Delhi. My first book was Last Bus to Vasco: Poems from Goa. My second book was a culmination of my travels all over India. It is called A Peace of India: Poems in Transit. I've always believed that India gives you that peace that no one else or no where else can bring.

Now to come down to these thought which have preoccupied my mind moments before I took the stage. The first I think, we have to reflect on, is social media, which I think is breaking our country in some ways. In some ways it has brought us together, in other ways it has drawn us apart. The kind of messages we receive and forward - we need to reflect on these whether they are actually building a beautiful India, whether they are contributing to the fabric of this nation, or are they tearing this nation apart.

The second is harmony. We need to all preserve the harmony we so peacefully share and practise in this beautiful society, which attracted me because of its cosmopolitanism, and the beauty with which the people mingle, stay, and communicate with each other.

The third is social equity. There are so many people outside our walls who are in need. So many are homeless, so many do not know where their next meal is coming from. Let us help them. Let us help India. I propose to the governing body of the society to set up a voluntary fund to assist the needy.  

The final thing I'd like to say is that we need to be ever more cautious and careful about human rights today, where people who are indiscriminately kept behind bars without trial, need our help and support.

With these few words I would like to end wishing you a very happy Independence day. May you all grow up, the little children and everyone else, being proud to salute this flag knowing that each of us has a part to play in each of the three colours. May the tiranga fly high - saffron for courage, white for peace, and green for progress. Jai Hind, Jai Bharat.
---------------------------------
Speech delivered at Devashri Garden, Goa on 15 August 2023. The third point has been added. Videography by Dwayne Mendonca. Updated 16/8/23.

Comments