'I Don't Want to Change the World'


Kirsty MacColl sings 'New England.'

-Brian Mendonca

Kirsty MacColl (1959-2000) was a British singer and song-writer. She sang plaintive numbers featuring lyrics like 'I don't want to change the world' and 'You forgot you had a family. '

'New England' was written by friend Billy Bragg and released in 1985. Kirsty took it to #7 in the top 10 UK music charts. 

Kirsty died tragically, holidaying in Mexico with her two boys and partner. They were giving in a lake where powered vessels were prohibited. Nevertheless one came along. She pushed her son out of harms way but was run over instead. 

The vessel was run by a powerful Mexican family who were never brought to justice. Another decoy was paid and planted to say that he was at the helm. 

I came across this song when RJ Elias played it  today towards the end of his evening show on FM Rainbow Goa at 105.4 khz. He also alluded to Christy's untimely passing. 

Main results

I was twenty one years when I wrote this songI'm twenty two now, but I won't be for longPeople ask when will you grow up to be a manBut all the girls I loved at schoolAre already pushing prams
I loved you then as I love you stillTho I put you on a pedestal,They put you on the pillI don't feel bad about letting you goI just feel sad about letting you know
I don't want to change the worldI'm not looking for a new EnglandI'm just looking for another girlI don't want to change the worldI'm not looking for a new EnglandI'm just looking for another girl
I loved the words you wrote to meBut that was bloody yesterdayI can't survive on what you sendEvery time you need a friend
I saw two shooting stars last nightI wished on them but they were only satellitesIs it wrong to wish on space hardwareI wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
I don't want to change the worldI'm not looking for a new EnglandI'm just looking for another girl. 

Comments