Always a Xavierite

A26 in full cry at the fete.


 -Brian Mendonca

As I bent down to remove my shoes before I entered our home today I noticed that they were filled with mud. Red mud. I was thrilled because that was the best souvenir I could have had from St. Xavier's College, Mapusa, Goa - my alma mater. 

'There is a match tomorrow on this ground,' reminded the person urging the volunteers to do the cleaning up after the fete. It was the same ground where we had played hockey, and Sir Tharakan - our sports director, used to fume at our faux pas at football.

I could very well see the hostel too where I passed 5 momentous years of my life. But today I was with my family and I gave them my total attention. 

Dwayne was very keen to see the barbecue, so I took him to see the chicken being skewered in the stall put up by Florentine's, Saligao. Happy with a lime mojito in one hand and a plate of barbecued chicken in the other, both of us made our way carefully to where Queenie sat. 

We entered just before A26 started off on its rock set. And then there was no turning back the night as the young at heart swayed to their heart's content.

The fete was held across 3 days and today was the finale. The event was in commemoration of 60 years of St. Xavier's college. The event was to raise funds for a new building for the college.

Comments