So long, Mike

Last rites for Captain Michael D'Souza. 

- Brian Mendonca

He lay there, as if sleeping, but at peace. Eyes closed. Those eyes with which he used to scrutinize all who entered the gate of Dramila Apartments, Mangor Hill, from his perch on the balcony on the fourth floor, would not open again. 

Mike was an unforgettable presence in the building. He would hello you if he saw you, and hold a conversation. I remember him telling me he had won a lottery.  He walked with me once to Driver's hill. He also gave me a lift in his car one time. 

Mike and Pam - then, uncle Mike and aunty Pam - were friends of dad and mum. They used to often visit us. The clinking of glasses and laughter used to ring out in the night. 

With Mike's passing, an entire generation is fading away. So many of dad's and mum's friends are no longer with us - Simon, Uncle Tino and aunty Doris, FX, Peter Tellis to name but a few.

Years back I attended the funeral of Captain Harry Pinto, also from Vasco. Harry was seen off in uniform with the captain's cap on his chest. 

Sometimes when I was down from Delhi, I would visit aunty Pam and uncle Mike. Aunty would tell me about their son abroad. At times I would take their post for them when the letters in their post box were overflowing. The beautiful hall with its carefully crafted wooden furniture looked so stately. 

'Does anyone die on 22nd?' said my son Dwayne (11). Wrapped up in Santa, carols and Christmas, it was too difficult to comprehend. I gently pointed out that his grandma (my mum) passed away on 20 December. 

And so, amidst the gaiety of the season, there are some who will grieve. In the baroque 16th century church embellished with Christmas decorations and cherubs - with a bier in the centre - the atmosphere this afternoon could best be described as surreal. This could not be happening. Not now. 

One of the pieces swayed in the breeze and thudded to the floor. That, I felt, was Mike signing off. 

This time Mike will not be home for Christmas. But we will remember the simple, down-to-earth person he was.

So long, Mike. It was great knowing you.

_______________________

Pic taken by Brian Mendonca at St. Andrew's church, Vasco, Goa on 22 December 2022. Captain Michael D'Souza (1944-2022) is fondly remembered after 78 years on planet earth. Updated 23/12/22.

Comments