Gaudette Sunday at the Cathedral

 


Basilica of St. Thomas, Mylapore, bedecked for Christmas. 


-Brian Mendonca

The last cathedral we visited was the cathedral of Bom Jesus, in Old Goa. That was on the feast of St. Francis Xavier on 3rd December. 

Imagine my delight when the following Sunday (today) saw us in the Basilica of St. Thomas, Mylapore, Chennai. We planned to go for the English Mass at 11.30 a.m. However we did not reach in time as several Ola drivers refused the trip from our hotel. 

We had been here before in October so we knew our way around. Still, after the service, I went behind the church and at the far corner I spied a tea and snack shop. I picked up fresh samosas, muruku, papdi and a bottle of water. 

As I made my way back I paused for a selfie with the church in the background. It was an unusual angle. But I got the steeple in the top right. The gorgeous midday sun on the left was a bonus. (I noticed it only later.) 

As we chomped on the snacks in the Ola on the way back Dwayne - who was hungry by then - said 'That was the best meal I have had in the past few days!'

Queenie saw a small crib made in stone, at a table put up by an old man near the church. She picked it up for our home in Kharghar, Navi Mumbai where we will be heading to for Christmas. The crib came into our hands by chance - since the old man only wanted cash and the earlier buyer could not muster the amount. 

We feel so blessed that we touched down in Chennai last night when the cyclone had passed. 

Looking at the altar with the huge Christmas tree in the background, and wreathes of holly adorning the sides, it feels good to be here. 

As Queenie said, looking at the shop windows. 'Last time we came it was Diwali, now it is Christmas. '
______________________
Pix taken by Brian Mendonca on 11 December 2022. Gaudette Sunday is the third Sunday of the advent season. It symbolizes the joy at the coming of Christ.



Comments