'Bandar ke uss taraf'

 

Teen bandar chowk, Kharghar

- Brian Mendonca


Today I felt like having a dosa for breakfast from Sai Pooja veg restaurant, Kharghar sector 7. I had actually forgotten the name of the restaurant as well as the sector. It's been a year since our last visit. 

So when I hopped into an auto in sector 7 l simply said 'Bandar ke uss taraf.' After I said it, I realized how ridiculous it sounded. But the auto driver seemed to understand. 

Merrily humming the tune of the morning bhajans which he played on his phone the driver and me seemed to be on the same page. 

As we crossed the monkeys I asked the auto driver the name of the roundabout. Unsurprisingly he said 'Teen Bandar chowk. '

Sai Pooja looked the same. Buzzing with a quiet efficiency, it delivered tasty snacks in a compact and comfortable space. 

I was halfway through my masala dosa when a group of six appeared. There were no vacant tables. I moved to a table for two and wished them happy new year. 

The naram dosa melted in my mouth. I was so glad I came. The elderly waiter recommended South Indian coffee. I readily agreed, recalling our recent trip to Chennai. 

For Queenie I parcelled a rava dosa and for Dwayne a plain dosa. 

It was a great trip to dosa land. 
___________________
Pic taken by Brian Mendonca at Kharghar, Navi Mumbai on 27/12/22.

Comments