Vhodekar

Entrance facade of Vhodekar Restaurant

Shravan spread at Vhodekar, Karasvaddo, Goa

 -Brian Mendonca

We managed to squeeze in to Vhodekar Restaurant and Bar, Karaswada, on the last day of their shravan fare. The shravan thali is served in clay vatis on a cane mat. The restaurant advertised 22 items and they were as good as their word. The food was delicious. Each preparation had its own taste and character. Queenie and me shared one thali. When I was taking the pic Queenie turned the thali around so the kappas could be seen. Otherwise they were covered by the tandoor rotis. (Queenie felt that plain rotis or chapattis would have been more Goan.) But once I tasted the first morsel, these niceties did not seem to matter. The sol kadi had verve. The chas was so good that Queenie ordered a second helping! 

Queenie noted the items:
1. Pineapple sansav
2. Green peas and potato bhaji
3. Turnip bhaji
4. Mushroom bhaji
5. Baingan (brinjal) bhaji
6. Breadfruit kappa (Neerfanas)
7. Baingan kappa
8. Salad
9. Tandoor roti
10. Chana sukha
11. Tur dal
12. Rice
13. Seviya kheer
14. Chas
15. Kokum
16. Paneer sabji
17. Gulab jamun

The name voddekara means 'boatman' in Konkani. There is a beautiful dekhni by the same name. In this folksong the lady wishes to be ferried across the Zuari to Shiroda to meet her lover. However, she is enchanted by the boatman and decides to get married to him instead. There are many versions of this song. 


The ferry crossing from Rachol to Shiroda may be the crossing the song-writer has in mind. Here are the lyrics in Konkani:

Voddekara

Lamb rund thonddgar dor-ia / Cold sea, so long and wide
He vodem polltodi vor-ia / Take this boat to the other side
Tandd voddem tanddela / The boat is cold, so let us row.
Ami Xirvoddea vochu-ia (2) / Let's go to Xirvodda.

Chorus

Voddekara, voddekara / Boat man, boatman
Mhaka vhorun pavoi Xirvoddea / Reach me to Xirvodda.
Duddu ditam zaite tuka. I will give you lots of money.
Mhozo mogi mhaka apoita / My lover is calling me.

Bhium naka, bhuim naka / Fear not, fear not
Tchoi thondgar doria asa / See the windy sea is here
Distoch tujem rupnem mhaka / Seeing your face
Mhojem kalliz umchambolo zata./ I am happy.

Raout marun voden tenka
Soglia choliyanka raah pavoita
Maum maum tya hatank dhorun
Maje kushikuch bosoita. (2)

Chorus

Kalliz mojem mogan budlam / My heart is drowned in love
Mhaka xirvodde vor poddta paim / Take me to Xirvodda, I am falling at your feet.
Tambdi sadi, golleant na kai / Red sari, yet nothing around the neck.
Login zata, bhienaka (2) The wedding will happen, fear not.

Voddekara, Voddekara / Boatman, boatman
Mhaka voronakai Xirvoddea / Take me not to Xirvodda
Ghe hem kalliz ditam tuka / I am offering you my heart
Mhonttam voddekaruch zai mhaka / Means I only want the boatman.

Io gho moga, Io gho moga / Come my love, come my love
Mhojem voddem fokot ravta tuka / My boat waits only for you
Dogaim moujem voddem tandd-ia / Together my boat we shall row
Vochon login zaum-ia Xirvoddea. / Let us go and get married in Xirvoddea.
-----------------------------
Pic taken by Brian Mendonca at Vhodekara restaurant, Karasvado on 30 August 2022. Lyrics by Mahesh Ganesh Karekar, and Francis Rodrigues in Greatest Konkani Song Hits. Volume 2. Toronto: Pater, 2019. Free translation by me based on Rodrigues. YouTube rendition of Voddekara by Gonzaga Coutinho (2015). Updated 2/9/22.

Comments