'Banni Birur'

 

KSRTC bus stand, Shimoga

-Brian Mendonca

'Banni' is the only word I learnt during my trip to Shimoga last week. In fact it was exactly last Wednesday that I hopped on to the 17310 Vasco-Yeshwantpur Express at 10.20 p.m. from Vasco station. My brother Kevin and his wife Miriam in Vasco very kindly offered me dinner and Kevin dropped me to the station. It was pouring when we set out for the station and we had to really hunt for some Zantye cashew nuts I wanted to pick up for Naveen in Shimoga in central Karnataka.

Earlier I was fretting over what bag to take for the journey as we usually travel as a family. I thought I would pick up a well-known brand but did not like the red colour - despite the sale that was advertised. I settled on a nifty stroller which we had sourced on the internet and which was meant for Dwayne as a school bag. It was too heavy for him to carry to his 2nd-floor classroom. But, with its black finish, it was perfect for me. It takes time for items to reveal their destiny.

At Birur station.
When the train reached Birur, Naveen invited me to his home in Bhadravati - the steel town. I was delighted when his wife and daughter sang some vachanas of the mystic poet Basavanna (1134-1196) form Karanataka in perfect unison. Naveen also spoke of Kannada poet and mystic Akka Mahadevi (1130-1160) from Karnataka as we drove along in his car to Shimoga. Both Basavanna and Akka Mahadevi were active in Bidar in North Karnataka. It was so ennobling that the younger generation was taking to the vachanas. 

On my return journey Naveen very kindly dropped me to the KSRTC bus stand, Shimoga. It was 3.20 p.m. by the time we lumbered away. But I did manage to catch my train - 17309 Yeshwantpur-Vasco Express - from Birur station scheduled at 5.50 p.m. The distance is 63 kms. via NH 69. 

At times like these everything depends on the bus driver and the conductor. And they perform their duty with the utmost sincerity and professionalism. A big thank you to them. It was the conductor of a KSRTC bus that bellowed 'Banni Birur.' [Come on, Birur.] Because of them it is possible to reach the interiors of Karnataka. They joyfully go where trains cannot reach. The buses are swift and comfortable for short journeys. 
-------------------------
Pix taken by me on 26th August 2022.

Comments

naveen said…
Brian... Thanks for the post. You have once again proved that you are a best chronicler of our time... Congratulations
💐💐