The Olav I knew

 -Brian Mendonca

Olav conducts his last match.

I still cannot believe that Olav has left. After an illustrious career winning many matches, the time came for his superannuation. But the legend lives on.

Ever since I re-joined the college in 2011 I found him to be full of good sense and a dependable friend. It was like - to paraphrase Browning - 'Olav is on campus, all is well with the world.'

Olav could take you through all the vicissitudes in life - and make you come out smiling. He listened to what you had to say. Then he gave a considered response. 

When dad was in his last stages I shared it with him on the sidelines of a picnic. He just looked at me, his eyes pools of pain. But he did not give me any hope. He said that is life. And that is what I remember.

His rock steady faith in God has seen him coast over many a hurdle. Though he never conducted a prayer on the P.A. system his faith was always unshaken. 

Olav was always ready to help - on campus and off it. At the church of St. Jerome, Mapusa, when I gatecrashed for the funeral of my dear school teacher Sr. Alvina A.C. I was confident I would not be shooed away because Olav was one of the relatives. This was during COVID time. Sure enough, soon after I got into church looking lost, there was Olav beckoning me to occupy the bench next to him. 

I actually ran into Olav in 1988-89. I had a one year part-time stint with the college and everything was new to me, fresh out of MA. When I returned in 2011 I was thankful that Olav was still there.  Among a sea of ladies there were a few gents I could turn to. It really boosted my confidence. I motivated myself saying, 'If they can contribute something, so can I.' Olav became my role model.

We used to look forward to the annual volleyball tournament which would culminate in the staff vs students match. I can almost hear him beside me shouting 'Sod re' (Leave it, in Konkani). At picnics he would take us effortlessly through the Konkani medleys while I accompanied him on the guitar. He was always part of the staff choir for Christmas - complete with Santa hat. He could always be counted on to tell a joke and defray the tension. 

In the final months I used to often see him sitting under the tree waiting for Enlightenment. As he said in his farewell speech, 'I have fulfilled my mission.' Whatever good he did, he did silently. 

The playground was his theatre of life. He shaped the lives of many students and instilled in them character through sport. 

We will miss you Olav.
--------------------------------
Pic of Olavo Gama, Sports Director,  (centre wearing T shirt)  with staff and finalists of the inter-class volleyball tournament. Taken on 26th May 2022. Shared by Shirley Mergulhao. Updated 4/7/22.

Comments