Egg Vindalho

Egg Vindalho

 -Brian Mendonca

INGREDIENTS

Oil
Boiled eggs (6)
Cinnamon powder
Turmeric powder
Ginger garlic paste
Chilly powder
Cumin seeds
Dry Kashmiri chillies (2)
Green chillies (2)
Onions (3)
Tomatoes (3)

METHOD

After pottering around with eggs in their burji avatars, this week I decided to be more adventurous. I very grandly decided to make an egg vindalho - since the house was stacked with eggs. I took my cue from a 3-minute video on the internet (which I can't find now). Easier said the better.

So first I boiled 6 eggs in a vessel and allowed it to continue boiling for about 10 minutes more. While this was happening I put in some coconut oil in a deep-bottomed pan and let it smoke. Instead of cumin  seeds (jeera) I put in saunf or barishab. They both looked the same, so I could not be blamed. Queenie noticed the disaster and showed me where the cumin seeds were. It is so important to know your pantry!

After the seeds spluttered I put in a dash of chilly powder, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder and salt. I almost forgot the ginger garlic paste. After a while I put in the onions. After a little while, the tomatoes.

It tasted nice with paos for breakfast. However the vindalho - which has Portuguese antecedents - did not turn out as expected. The onions and tomatoes were lumpy and did not become a curry. Queenie said that they need to be cut finer. Nevertheless the goodness of the eggs was not to be denied.

Anyway, I shall continue my research to make a better dish next time. 
----------------------------------------
Pic taken by Brian Mendonca on 18 July 2022. Base recipe on the internet.

 


Comments