Hibiscus Woman

-Brian Mendonca


She appears suddenly
-a woman I do not know
dressed in black
twirling a hibiscus flower
outside my window.

A somewhat frantic eye
Not making sense
Recalling recent events
-like an eye camp for villagers.

Tears start to roll down her cheeks
bitter tears, unbridled
from memories which cage her.

'Look, I am busy,' I say.
'You are always busy,' 
she reproaches me.

Suddenly she disappears
-as colleagues barge into my room.

'Are you okay?' they ask.
'This lady has no one.
She comes here to search for her daughter
Who went missing years ago.'

(Nuvem, Goa
4 June 2022)

--------------------------------
Pic of L'histoire Des Fleurs D'hibiscus - digital art by Dodi Ballada, courtesy artmajeur.com. 'Black Velvet' (1989) by Alannah Myles heard on radio on 11 June 2022.

Comments