Trees walking


Almond tree, courtyard of JMJ Hospital, Porvorim

                                                      

-Brian Mendonca

In the gospel reading of 16 February Jesus restores sight to the blind man. 'Do you see anything?' Jesus asks him. The blind man looks up and says, 'I see people; but they look like trees, walking.' (Mark 8:24)

Men and women like trees. This is a powerful assertion of the affinity of humans with nature. The language uses simile to compare people to trees.

Trees have always spoken to my soul. These days we see the leaves fall. As I begin my journey to work in the mornings, I try to connect with certain trees on my route as I drive past. 

I am writing about the almond  tree (Terminalia catappa) which inspired my poem 'Leaves of Life.' This tree is found in many places on my route from North to South Goa. I am particularly drawn to this tree because these trees are seen at the place of my residence as well as my place of work. So, in a sense, they give me a feeling of home. Driving past these trees also makes me feel at home.

Since I step out at around 7.30 a.m. the one hour journey makes me enjoy seeing the trees as the sun is rising. From the dim light of the early morning to the opaqueness of a misty foggy road, one moves into the translucence of a bright new day. Like various camera lenses the trees look different every time.

This particular tree is made of green leaves and red leaves and is very striking. Some trees have leaves that are dusty, some have leaves that look fresh. Sometimes I fail to recognize the same tree when I return from work, because it has shed its leaves in senescence and has sprouted new ones with a fresh green tint.

So far my tree-spotting grows apace. I keep discovering gorgeous new almond trees smiling at me in the nippy mornings, shafts of sunlight streaming through their branches.

Locations of almond trees:

1. Devashri Gardens, Porvorim
2. Merces junction near the coconut cart, Jack de Sequeira square, Merces
3. As you climb the hill, Merces
4. Military camp, Curca
5. After the crossroads, Batim
6. Pilar junction, Agassaim
7. Signals before Mardol Residency
8. Near Quatro - the open air venue- Verna, NH 66
9. Nuvem, NH 66

As I cross one tree I visualize the next waiting to welcome me. It helps me get through the day - or night.

We cannot be blind to the decimation of nature all around us. Let us try to preserve what we still have. 
--------------------------------
Pix taken by Brian Mendonca on 15 February 2022. Updated 19/2/22.

Comments

Vanessa said…
Beautifully written Brian. You have given the sturdy tree a human form and you sometimes grasp at its form to determine your own feelings.
It's amazing how you have connected with the trees on your long journey to work and back. Normally ppl would just speed through the route.