Goa Elections 2022

Posro across the road.
 
Happy to serve.

Boys playing football.

-Brian Mendonca

To be posted for election duty is to be called once more to serve the state and the nation. As every polling team knows, one has to leave the previous day for the polling booth. This is after collecting the materials from the collection centre designated for the constituency, in the morning,

The arrangements at the collection centre were well done. The tables were spaced out with adequate seating arrangements. There were paramedic staff with ambulances on stand by. Lunch of tasty chicken biryani was served to those on duty, after which we proceeded to our respective booths. 

The authorities left no stone unturned to conduct the poll in a free and fair manner. Several arduous training sessions by trainers like Queenie V were held prior to the polling day. They advised us patiently on all the formalities to be conducted. Vincent provided timely assistance before, during, and after the poll.

I was fortunate to have an experienced polling team. As we worked together we got to know each other better. I felt each team was made of members with different gifts - each of which was essential to complete the task. Joston picked me up on Sunday from my parking spot and dropped me to it on Monday after our duty. 

Being posted for duty overnight made it feel like we were on a college NSS camp. We bonded over biryani; tasted the mutton kheema I discovered before dinner on the 13th; and laughed our guts out when Uday - in colloquial Konkani - rued the investment on slippers he had to buy only for one night! He even bargained with the sales person for a discount saying he would return the slippers the next day!

The Booth Level Officer (BLO) took good care of us, flitting in and out catering to our needs. He was a vital link between the polling team and the authorities.

What I enjoyed most was the saxtti Konkani I got to hear. My team was fluent in it and that really endeared them to the people who came to vote. Aditya did an amazing job liaising with the various people we had to interact with. He was very proactive. When we needed a clarification he would immediately contact someone or go around to ask about it. My team was always positive handling every challenge that came our way. We respected each other. 

Sudesh in his quiet way held the team together. He was busy all the time with the pre-poll work. As a concession, he deigned to speak to me in English - which I felt was very thoughtful of him.

What kept us on our toes was the 2-hourly update of votes polled which we were required to furnish. From 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. we had to be constantly alert to information being shared on the WhatsApp group created for the purpose. It taught me to work with grace under pressure. 

COVID protocol was maintained throughout. In a first, masks and gloves were provided to voters. Sanitizers were ubiquitous. Thermal guns checked the temperature. These were wielded by anganwadi workers who lent their services for the occasion. Special cardboard boxes to dispose the surgical waste were provided. 

Security was provided by Goa Police and Kerala Police. Intrigued by the nature of their weaponry I stepped up to an officer and asked what kind of gun he had. He said it was the latest INSAS automatic. It sure looked mean. INSAS or Indian Small Arms System is an assault rifle developed by ARDE, Pune. It was really heavy when I tried to hold it. It weighs 4.16 kg. - and they held it with ease. 

Though there was fatigue - we got up at 4.15 a.m. - we knew there was a job to be done, and we were chosen to do it. Several visitors visited our booth. We greeted all with a smile and furnished the required details. It was Valentine's Day after all. When I wished a lad for the day, he replied somewhat wistfully 'Amghe konn na.' [I don't have anyone.]

On the ride back near midnight on his trusty scooter Joston mentioned it was his birthday the next day. So the next day I took along some favourite gingerbread cake for him which Queenie had baked when I was away on 14th. Days later he pressed into my hands delicious bebinca made by his mother.

Before I left on 13th Dwayne and Queenie helped me pack. Dwayne placed packets of biscuits, and toffees in my bag. He even put a fork and spoon, and a neck pillow.

Ultimately poll duty was a great learning experience. I had begun the day with a tentative blogpost on Jeremiah 17 - the reading of the day - to help me to do the task that lay ahead.

Having completed it, I feel more confident about myself now. 

If given a chance I would do it again. 
-------------------------
All pix taken by me on Sunday, 13 February 2022. Updated 18/2/22. Posro (Konkani): small shop that sells essentials. Anganwadi: (courtyard shelter) women are employed by Government for rural health care.

Comments