The gift of a plant

Morning sun kisses the money plant.
 
-Brian Mendonca

Looking at the money plant perched on the balcony it may be difficult to imagine it recently travelled from Mumbai on a flight. It arrived unscathed wedged between my several bags in the cabin baggage overhead.

Money plant hanging indoors.

The plant is a gift from my friend Rajan when he came to share the New Year lunch with us in Kharghar, Navi Mumbai. He stepped on the Rajdhani which left in the wee hours of 1 Jan 2022 at 4.49 a.m. from Vadodra station and was at Bombay Central by 10 a.m. From there he switched to Harbour Line and reached Kharghar station around 12 midday. Soon he was trundling in on an autorickshaw to our place at sector 10. My joy knew no bounds. 

As I scouted around for last minute items for the family lunch, I spied a lovely display of plants on the terraced steps near the shops. I was drawn to the freshness of the green energy. It was then that I spied the money plant somewhat dwarfed by the other worthier plants in the array. 

Mum loved the creeper and it adorned our house in Gandhidham, Kutch when I was a child. Rajan bought me the plant and I brought it to Goa the next day. I was sceptical about carrying it on the flight but Rajan  assured  me he had done the same before. 

Looking at the plant flourishing - it is also called Devil's Ivy - brings back happy memories of Mumbai and our recent trip. It's like I have transported life from there to here. It gives continuity to my life. The botanical name is Epipremnum aureum.

Every morning I water it and feel renewed vicariously. As if my limbs, my breath, my tissues are - like the money plant - absorbing the life-giving water. I breathe in the smell of the wet earth. Before I leave for work I keep it on the balcony ledge for it to soak up the sun. 

I love the hues of green, yellow and brown which tint the leaves. In the same plant and through its extensions there is decay, atrophy and regeneration. Some of the leaves wilt, shrivel and fall, while new shoots in bright young green appear. This medley speaks of the cyclic nature of life and senescence. So simple, so profound.
---------------------------------
Pic (top) taken by Brian Mendonca of balcony at Porvorim, Goa on 10 Jan 2022. Pic (below) taken by Melanie David at Kharghar, Navi Mumbai on 1 Jan 2022. Updated 13/1/22

Comments