'Mein jyada paisa kisi se nahi leta'

Dharmender in his badam-shake van

Dharmender up close.

 -Brian Mendonca

A few moments ago as I was strolling back to our place I noticed this mini truck which I had not seen before. I was captivated by the joy the little van brought to this otherwise dreary street on a bracing December night.

'Mein photo le sakta hun?' I ventured, half-expecting the gent to refuse. He was on the phone. But he
kind of warmed to me. I took a couple of pics and then I decided to buy something from him. He selected his best treat - a badam shake. Cost - Rs. 60.

He prepared my shake with great passion, topping it with nuts etc. I asked him about his timings. He said he comes at 4 p.m. and stays till 1 a.m. That's a lot of hard work. 

I placed a Rs.100 note in his hand. I thought it would cover the fee of taking the photo.

He reached down to me and in all earnestness pressed Rs. 40 in my hand. 'Mein jyada paisa kisi se nahi leta,' he said.

What a message on the eve of New Year 2022!

There are people who have crores and would kill for more. But here was Dharmender, full of self-respect, enjoying only the fruit of what he had earned.
----------------------------------
Pic taken by Brian Mendonca at Kharghar, Sector 10 on 31/12/21.

Comments

Bryce D'souza said…
Now that's a true genuine human- one in a multitude! Great read