The bhakti poetry of women in India

 

Therigatha

-Brian Mendonca

The bhakti period lasts from the 10th to the 16th Century in India. The movement empowered women poets both to negotiate their own freedom and to find their own voice. What is important is that bhakti poetry was written in vernacular languages and became a powerful grassroots movement. 

When it comes to women's writing it is the Therigatha which comes to mind. The Therigatha is a book of poems of elder Buddhist nuns. The poems in Pali are written across three centuries, some of which reach back to the late-6th century BCE. 

Here is a poem from the Therigatha. It throws light on the suffering of a woman named Chanda who becomes a Buddhist nun so she may have food.

In the past, I was poor, a widow, without children, 
without friends or relatives, I did not get food or clothing. 

Taking a bowl and stick, I went begging from family to family, 
I wandered for seven years, tormented by cold and heat. 

Then I saw a nun as she was receiving food and drink. 
Approaching her, I said, “Make me go forth to homelessness.” 

And she was sympathetic to me and Patachara made me go forth, 
she gave me advice and pointed me toward the highest goal. 

I listened to her words and I put into action her advice. 
That excellent woman’s advice was not empty, 
I know the three things that most don’t know, 
nothing fouls my heart.

Copper alloy sculpture of Andal, 14th Century, Madurai

Andal was a mystic poet from Tamil Nadu. She lived in the 9th century and wrote her passionate poems to Lord Vishnu desiring oneness with him. Andal herself is regarded as a saint and goddess. Here is her poetry from her song to rainclouds or Vin Nila Velappu [Clouds Spread like Blue Cloth]:

8.1

Clouds spread like blue cloth
across the vast sky
Has Tirumal my beautiful Lord
of Venkatam - where cool streams leap-
Come with you?

Tears gather and spill between my breasts
like waterfalls.
He has destroyed my womanhood
How does this bring him pride?

8.5

Great clouds rising into the sky
climb high, rain hard on Venkatam
scatter flowers brimming with honey.
Ask the one who tore the body of Hiranya
with his long nails flecked with blood
to return the conch bangles he took from me.

8.10

Kotai of the king of Puduvai, the peerless city
desired the one reclining upon the servant
and sent the clouds as her messengers 
to the king of Venkatam.

Those who place in their hearts these verses of Tamil
sung by her of luminous forehead
Those who sing these words of Tamil
will be with him forever.


Akka Mahadevi renouncing the world.

The Kannada poet Akka Mahadevi (c.1130-60) believed the attainment of knowledge to be a worthy pursuit for all without discrimination:

One who grows breast and braid of
Hair is called female.
One who grows moustache and beard
Is called male.
Is the knowledge in either
male or female
O Nastinatha?

Utterly devoted to her Lord she scorned any raiment, preferring to cover herself with her hair.

Janabai (1259-1350) was a poet from Maharashtra. She was from a poor family and, as was the practice in those days, she was sent to work in a household. The household she was sent to was of the poet Namdev. She writes in Marathi:

You Leave Your Greatness Behind You

Jani has had enough of samsara
but how will I repay my debt?

You leave your greatness behind you
To grind and pound with me.

O Lord you became a woman
washing me and my soiled clothes.

Proudly you carry the water
and gather dung with your own two hands

O Lord, I want
a place at your feet
says Jani, Namdev's dasi.

(Translated by Sarah Sellergren)


Atukuri Molla (1440-1530) wrote the Telugu Ramayan in the 16th century. It was called Molla Ramayana. Molla was a shudra  from a potter's family. She produced a classical Ramayan much to the chagrin of the Brahmin poets at court.


Mirabai

From Rajasthan in the West shines Mirabai (1498-1547). A Rajput princess from Rathore she became a widow at 15 years. Everyone she cared for passed away. She threw her life into her devotion of Krishna and considered him to be her husband. 

After she escapes being poisoned, Mirabai sings:                                                     

Oh King, I know you gave me poison.
But I emerged as gold burned in fire
comes out bright as a dozen suns. 
Family pride, fear of the world's opinion
I threw away as water, 
You should hide yourself, O King. 
I am a woman, powerless and mad. 
Krishna's arrow pierced my heart,
took away my reason.
Body and soul I give to the holy men; 
I cling to their lotus feet. 
Mira's Lord acknowledges
her as his servant.

Mirabai is believed to have disappeared in a temple where she was praying to Lord Krishna. Only her sash was found.

The poet Mahadevi Varma (1907-87) chose the name 'Meera Kutir' for her abode in Ramgarh, Nainital.
-------------------------
Inspired by an online talk today by Professor Gopeshwar Singh, Department of Hindi, University of Delhi on the Bhakti movement. The talk was organized by the HRDC, Goa University. Sources: Zen Mountain Monastery zmm(dot)org; sahapedia; Isha Foundation; artsillustrated(dot)in; manushi-india(dot)org; poetry-chaikhana(dot)com; Archana Venkatesan, The Secret Garland: Andal's Tiruppavai and Naciyar Tirumoli (New Delhi: Harper Collins, 2016). Pic courtesy wikimedia commons. Updated 27 October 2021.

Comments

Suniti Soni said…
Your all the works are fantastic. I get inspired and motivated after reading this. Thank you so much sir teaching me beyond syllabus. Which will definitely help me to cope up in future.