'Kaala rang, khala sthan'

 

Dalit Literature: Agony and Protest


-Brian Mendonca

'Kaala rang, khala sthan' [Dark face, low status] pithily seems to point out in Marathi to just one of the forms of discrimination Dalits face.

Dalit literature in Marathi has a long tradition of protest and is a strong presence in contemporary literatures of India. 

The Marathi writer Gangadhar Pantwane (1937-2018) is regarded as the pioneer of the Dalit literature movement in Maharashtra. He founded the literary journal Asmitadarsh in 1968 from Aurangabad and curated it for half a century.  

Pantwane followed the thought of Ambedkar (1891-1956) - a social reformer. Ambedkar embraced Buddhism on 14th October 1956 at Nagpur, along with 3,65,000 Dalit followers, to exit the caste system of Hinduism. 

In his conversion speech the following day Ambedkar observed that Nag-pur was chosen because it was the city of Nag people - the foremost to propagate the Buddhist creed. The allusion goes back to the Puranas when the Aryans were oppressing the non-Aryans. Agasti muni helped one Nag to escape. The Nags were led by Gautama Buddha.

Ambedkar's slogan 'Shikshit bano, sangtith raho, sangarsh karo' [Educate yourself, remain united, continue the struggle.] served to rally the oppressed. 

Jyotirao Phule (1827-90) the social reformer from Maharashtra was another powerful influencer. 

Chokhamela was a saint poet from the Mahar caste in Maharashtra and lived in Pandharpur in the 14th century. His abhangs served to make people aware of the discrimination which was being practised.

The varkari sampradaya [Bhakti spiritual movement] unique of Maharashtra helped to raise consciousness about social equality. Varkaris worship Vithala, the presiding deity of Pandharpur. The movement was started by Sant Namdev (1270-1350) a poet from Pandharpur.

Namdeo Dhasal (1949-2014) took the Dalit agenda to the ultimate horizon with his fiery poems. Dhasal's father was a stonemason and died of starvation. 

Stonemasons, My Father and Me

-Namdeo Dhasal

Stonemasons give stones dreams to dream;
I set a match to fireworks.
They say one mustn't step into
One's father's life:
I do; I scratch
his elbows
his armpits.

Stonemasons give stones flowers;
I play horns and trumpets.
I overtake the Parsi who stands
turned to stone
by the bodies of four women
bent like bows
I see my father's bloodied rump
In the chaos of the dark
I smoke a cheroot
and smoulder with memories
till my lips get burnt.

Stonemasons inseminate stones;
I count exhausted horses.
I harness myself to a cart;
I handle 
my father's corpse;
I burn.

Stonemasons mix blood with stones;
I carry a load of stones.
Stonemasons build 
a stone house.
I break heads with stones.

Daya Pawar (1935-96) and Vaman Nimbalkar (1943-2010) have made their mark by blazing a trail. Arun Kale (1953-2008) was a member of the Dalit Panthers which was founded in 1972.

'I am of many colours' says another Dalit poet Suresh Bhat (1932-2003) in this poem in Marathi.

रंग माझा वेगळा!

रंगुनी रंगांत साऱ्या रंग माझा वेगळा!
गुंतुनी गुंत्यात साऱ्या पाय माझा मोकळा!

कोण जाणे कोठुनी ह्या सावल्या आल्या पुढे;
मी असा की लागती ह्या सावल्यांच्याही झळा!

राहती माझ्यासवे ही आसवे गीतांपरी;
हे कशाचे दुःख ज्याला लागला माझा लळा!

कोणत्या काळी कळेना मी जगाया लागलो
अन् कुठे आयुष्य गेले कापुनी माझा गळा ?

सांगती 'तात्पर्य' माझे सारख्या खोट्या दिशा :
'चालणार पांगळा अन् पाहणारा आंधळा !'

माणसांच्या मध्यरात्री हिंडणारा सूर्य मी :
माझियासाठी न माझा पेटण्याचा सोहळा !



A Lone Colour

Coloured in your hues I stand in a lone colour
Swaying in your moves
My feet move to their own tune.

Shadows engulf me, know not how
Yet I burn to ashes in those very shadows

Like songs flow my tears
Why do they love me so? 

My story of false directions
Led by a lame walker and blind director

I am the sun, I burn your sins
and suffer the cold heat.

Translated from the Marathi by Nivedita Bedadur.
--------------------------
Courtesy sureshbhat.in. Inspired by a talk on Dalit Sahitya by Professor Avinash Sangolekar organized by HRDC, Goa University on 22 October 2021.

Comments