Raksha bandhan

Rakhis given by my sister and her daughter

Today being a Sunday and Raksha bandhan as well, it was a swell way to connect with my sister Vanessa. At times like these one appreciates what a blessing a sister is. I recall the many times I had called up my sister in Pune during my bachelor days in Delhi to ask her for advice whether work-related or otherwise. She was always there to lend a patient ear and sound counsel. Though younger to me, she began working before me. 

Now when both of us have our own families it feels nice that the old ties endure. Every year on rakhi day Nessa (for that is what we call her) will send me a rakhi. When Dwayne came along, my sister extended the practice. Now Maegan, her daughter, started sending a rakhi for my son Dwayne. Indeed, they have a lot to talk and text about on WhatsApp.

Dwayne was given first choice for the rakhis today. The parcel had arrived many days before but we took care to open it only this morning. He chose the bigger silver rakhi and I was delighted to be the proud owner of the smaller, gold rakhi. I wore it on my left wrist when I went for a society meeting this morning. I wore a blue kurta with ikat print on jeans to go with it. Now I am looking for another occasion to wear it. I asked my sister how long can one wear it. She replied it was only a gesture, and could be worn for as long as one wanted.  

Queenie suggested we celebrate the occasion by ordering dinner for them on Swiggy from here in Goa. Felix just called to say the food had arrived. Such are the conveniences of modern-day living.

For our wedding Nessa surprised us all by singing the song 'From this moment on' by Shania Twain at the reception. She would steal away and practice the song with Adrian, her brother-in-law Gus's son. Indeed after her marriage she melded both families in a beautiful chorus of voices. 

Raksha bandhan is a beautiful tradition and I like to observe it. Thank goodness I have a sister who always remembers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Pic taken by Queenie Mendonca.

Comments