Alishan

Azulejo panel on a bench, Santarem, Portugal

-Brian Mendonca 


Friend,
You walked away 
taking us by surprise.
You look dapper 
in your red tie
lapel on your tux
ready to dance the corridinho.

Where are those days
when we gathered for the feast?

In the quiet dusk
I used to amble over
at a windy gathering
to sip my spirits
and hear your words.

We were singing 'I'm with you'
but there are no footsteps on the ground
I'm listening, but there's no sound.

It's May
and Goa waits for you.
Soon the rains will come
and the koels will call your name.

Alishan - beyond compare
You loved
And were loved in return.
Poised, practical and unpretentious
You called me home for lunch
when I was a stranger.

There was so much to share
so many harvests to reap.
But the Lord of the harvest
Decides who He will keep.

Fare thee well
Gentle sojourner
The world is sadder
sans your joie de vivre

Connoisseur of Goa
Buried among briers
Alpha and Omega
Attend the office of the friars.
----------------------------------------------
In memory of Alexandre Silveira (1951-2021) New Delhi / Goa - affectionately called 'Alishan.' Interred last week in Delhi. Pic of Dom Afonso Henriques with Christian knights battling the Moors in 1147. Courtesy madillcaminho2016(at)blogspot.com

'I'm With You' : Song and words by Avril Lavigne, 2002.

Comments

jasp said…
Eloquent eulogy poem!