Basti to Burma

A satisfying Sunday, to say the least. After a bit of turbulence owing to our house help not turning up, we rallied to put the house in order today. The house help showed up as well today and did a marvellous job of sprucing up the rooms. How much we depend on them for our ease!

I also got into the act and changed the curtains, and cleaned the fans. Lo and behold I even had time for a bit of yoga at 5.45 p.m. followed by a few brisk rounds around the block with Queenie. 

The piece de resistance was getting up at 5 (Couldn't get sleep) and fixing breakfast. I placed my chair and stool for my laptop in the balcony at 6.23 a.m. waiting for daybreak to put the finishing touched on my PPT on Intizar Husain's novella Basti. The novel is part of a course on Partition Literature which I teach. The PPT is for a video recording to be done by the department of higher education, Government of Goa to buffer up e-content for their DISHTAVO portal. 

The last recording I did was on 20th January 2021 where I analyzed two poems by Manipuri poet Robin Ngangom. They were 'The Strange Affair of Robin Ngangom' and 'Poem for my Mother.' I noted with delight a Sunday Special article on Manipur in today's Times of India, Goa, on Manipur-Myanmar trade on the border at Moreh in the light of the recent coup in Myanmar.*

Interestingly the next PPT I have to embark on is on Amitav Ghosh's Shadow Lines. In an earlier stint I had taught his Glass Palace with references to Burma, to an under-grad class.

By the way, Dwayne (10) now reads the newspapers with interest. I try to - at least on Sundays - offer him a range of Sunday newspapers so that he broadens his horizon (rather than being fed the same pap everyday). He has also been tasked to present a mini-tiatr every Sunday to keep him occupied. Today's theme is 'Warm it' and its homophonic overtones. Duration 1 minute. Language - Konkani. We have still to see it. 

And yes, I updated my blog which had been lying fallow for a month. It feels good to be in sync with the times now - when I can simply open my blog and blog away. Earlier I could not as I was waiting to upload the events of the month in sequence. February here I come!

*Amava Bhattacharya, 'Why this Manipur town is keeping one eye on Myanmar.'

Comments