King Cyrus

Cyrus the Great: Founder of the Persian Empire

The Book of Isaiah is often the subject of Sunday readings. It tells of the deliverance of  God's people by an unknown King by the name of Cyrus. Last Sunday, 18th October 2020, the reading was from Isaiah 45 when God instructs the Israelites that he will appoint a king to lead them out of exile. They just have to trust him. In his homily the priest from Holy Cross church, Kurla marvelled at the ways of God to ensure the deliverance of his people. The priest, during the online Mass, added that Isaiah is particularly relevant for our times. These are the inspiring words:

1 Thus saith the Lord to my anointed Cyrus, whose right hand I have taken hold of, to subdue nations before his face, and to turn the backs of kings, and to open the doors before him, and the gates shall not be shut.

4 For the sake of my servant Jacob, and Israel my elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have made a likeness of thee, and thou hast not known me.

5 I am the Lord, and there is none else: there is no God, besides me: I girded thee, and thou hast not known me

6 That they may know who are from the rising of the sun, and they who are from the west, that there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is none else.
-------------------------------------------------------
Verse source: catholicgallery(dot)org; pic source brewminate(dot)com. Updated 29 May 2021.

Comments