George of the Jungle

George with family at Malampuzha dam, Palakkad, Kerala 2011

                                                  

-Brian Mendonca

Today we confirmed the news with his family that George had indeed passed on. Stifled by the pandemic the event largely went unnoticed - until late last night when Kallol, a mutual friend, called me to ask if I knew anything about it.

George Joseph (48) will be remembered for his amiable nature and his unruffled spirit. You could always count on him to listen to you. When I introduced him to my family in Delhi, both he and his wife Shiji and his daughter welcomed us with open arms. At that time he was staying close to Goldakhana, near the Gurudwara and Sacred Heart cathedral. When I asked him about church services he was nonchalant but he had a heart of gold.

It was he who was deputed by my company to accompany me home to take the flight to Goa when my mother passed. Unable to think for myself, George packed my things and ushered me on.

He always used to call me ‘Brian saab.’ I don’t know why. But I felt hugely boosted by the confidence that welled up in me through that simple phrase. George was very humble. He handled all the brickbats from the office and even covered for others who were receiving flak for perceived negligence.

George was a sportsman. He used to play badminton on any available space – even in the car park. He used to be passionate about cricket and had bought an enormous TV in his new digs near Sheikh Sarai II. He used to be glued to it during the IPL matches.

George was the dutiful son, taking care of his father who stayed with him in Delhi. George even drove his father’s car from Delhi to Kerala.

It was at Fort Kochi, Kerala that we last saw George three years ago. My dad had just passed on and we were in Kerala at the invitation of Queenie's aunt Thelma. But the redoubtable George was there too! On one morning we spirited away to Fort Kochi to have a delicious lunch prepared in traditional style - in a vintage Kerala house - at his wife's place. After that George personally supervised the purchase of the sweets we brought back to Goa.

Once when his family was passing through Goa by train, Queenie rustled up some hot pulao for the kids and we careened over to Margao station to place it into their hands. Click here.

It looked like George could not have enough of Delhi. Even after calling it a day in Delhi, and returning to Kerala, he found his path back to Delhi. 

In the embrace of the winds of the north and the palms of the south, he skipped away with that impish smile.  For his wacky sense of humour and the capacity to handle any situation, his colleagues used to affectionately call him 'George of the Jungle.' The nom de plume was inspired by the exploits of George in a movie by the same name trending in 1997.  Maybe he is off to discover lands anew. You never know with George!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Pic courtesy Shiji George.

Comments

Kallol Majumder said…
Lost a good friend, virtual next door neighbour. Will keep remembering you, George.