Dnyaneshwar


 

- Brian Mendonca


You can see him.

Dnyaneshwar.

Bedraggled

in clothes a week old

or more.

His gaunt face

looking out for someone to buy him

something to eat.

His erect frame

presages

a life of dignity.


I met him today 

on Independence day

sitting on the threshold 

of a salon

until he was asked to move

taking his bags of clothes 

-which for some reason he carries with him.


'I am Dnyaneshwar' he shouts

(He can't speak softly)

-Like the saint-poet

When I first noticed him.

'I was thrown out of my house'

he confides in broken Konkani

'and denied my inheritance' he adds.

Sometimes he sleeps the night 

on a wet pavement

with the cows for company.

At other times in the back 

of a pick-up van.


'Good night' he says

and realizes it is good morning

It's all the same

He grins sheepishly.

As I hasten onward

for the flag hoisting.


(15 August 2020

Porvorim, Goa)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sant Dnyaneshwar (1275-1296) Thirteenth-century Marathi saint poet of the Vaishnava tradition. He authored Dnyaneshwari - a commentary on the Bhagawad Gita. Pic of Dnyaneshwar taken by Brian Mendonca early morning at Porvorim on 16th August 2020. Updated 17th August 2020. 

Comments