Goan sausage omelette

-Brian Mendonca

Raring to go on a sausage omelette served up by a friend, I could not wait to try it out on my own. I decided that the flavour of the sausages had to be paramount and the rest of the omelette would only support the main actor. Queenie gave me a helpful suggestion of boiling the sausage meat of the Goan sausage first. It was a day of many firsts. This was my first attempt at a Goan sausage omelette for a Sunday breakfast.


This was also the first time I used the mini pressure cooker to boil the sausage. I opened the sausage packet bought from Mapusa market, sliced the skins and removed  the sausage which I put into the cooker. I also put in just enough water to cover it.  The first whistle came just about 7 minutes later. It was followed by a series of whistles. I ignored them and switched off the simmer flame only after 13 minutes when I thought the sausages would be done. 

The second first was, I used two pans/skillets for the first time. While I sauteed the sausages (after boiling) in butter with chillies and baby onions, I used a larger pan to spread the egg mix. I had beaten up all of 6 eggs, put in a generous dash of milk, a pinch of saffron, and a pinch of chilly powder. As the egg wrap cooked on slow fire my sausage mix was waiting to jump in!


I kept tasting the sausage to see if it was done. When I was sure it was, I put the sausage mix in the centre of the pan on the bed of the omelette. This was only after ascertaining that the omelette was cooked well. After a few minutes I turned both sides of the omelette over the centre. The Goan sausage omelette tasted delicious with Goan poees - which I stood in the early morning rain to buy.

Perhaps I could have used 5 instead of 6 eggs and gone easier on the milk, to reduce the heaviness.  Maybe a few greens like parsley and capsicum would have made it more balanced. But I was not prepared to risk it.
----------------------------------------------------------
Pix taken by Brian Mendonca at home on Sunday, 12 July 2020. 

Comments

Unknown said…
That looks awesome!
A perfect breakfast to start off the day.