Navtara shuts down

Navtara restaurant, Patto premises up for rent
                                                        
Strolling down the street at Patto, Panjim, my eyes were searching for Navtara restaurant. It was after all an iconic landmark on the outskirts of the capital of Goa. Frequented by several office-goers and many couples too, the spacious joint could be relied on to zip into and grab a South Indian snack.  At nights I used to look for the little lamps which bordered the road-facing entrance. From a distance they seemed so inviting and proclaimed that all would be well.

I visited Navtara, Patto many a time and spent quite a few moments in the company of friends and family.  To get parking near the hotel you had to be very lucky.  As you turned left at Rego hotel if you were heading towards Panjim, you kept your fingers crossed that a space would open before you to park.  

The sight was stunning for a moment. Try as I might I could not see the restaurant, standing on the main path. 'That's funny' I thought to myself. 'It used to be right here,' I thought to myself. And so it was. But it was locked up. The shutters down. The space was out for rent once more.  Navtara had moved on. The story was over - here at least.  An eerie silence hung over the place.

Navtara would have to yield place to the older, Kamat Canteen which is just above the Panjim, inter-state bus stand on the first floor. It is a bit grimy at times, but convenient for travellers.

In Panjim, I used to frequent the older branch of Navtara restaurant in my college days. It is opposite Mustafa garment stores, near the Panjim municipal. The Navhind Times office used to be at the side of the restaurant. Who could resist not stepping in for a piping hot dosa - particularly on a rainy day?

When Navtara came to CHOGM road, off Porvorim, I stepped in for a thali but was unimpressed. There is another Navtara opposite the Margao bus stand but usually one is in such a tearing hurry that one simply turns down its inviting exteriors - somewhat reluctantly. On one occasion when the rain was pouring down, I tried to manoeuvre my car to park but could not. I just drove away dejectedly as curious eaters stared at me from the safety of the restaurant. 

It will take some time to get used to the idea that Navtara, Patto, Panjim has closed down. COVID 19 has claimed one more victim. The Patto branch has also been taken down from its website navtara.in - as though it never existed.  But the happy times we shared there will always be remembered. Perhaps it lost out on the stiff competition provided by all the new joints sprouting up in the vicinity. I hope the waiters are cared for and have a plan B.  
---------------------------------------------------------------
Pix taken by Brian Mendonca of the erstwhile Navtara restaurant, Patto, Panjim, Goa on 11th June 2020.

Comments