Arise, Shine Out for your Light has Come


Waiting for few moments before the live telecast of the daily Mass from Don Bosco, Panjim, on YouTube this morning at 9, I thought why not use this quiet time to calm my self in prayer. I went to my bookshelf, picked up my Bible, and sank into my favourite seat on the sofa by the window. Outside I could see what looked like a Christmas tree in the distance.

My hands opened to Isaiah 60 of the Good News Bible. As I read the exultant lines I heard the Rex Band in the distance singing the song:

Arise shine out for your light has come
The glory of Yahweh is rising on you
Though night still covers the earth
and darkness the people
Above you, Yahweh now rises above you
His glory appears, arise!*  (Is. 60:1-2)

I heard this song at a retreat for Jesus Youth around 1997-98 when I had  arrived in Delhi to commence my working life. The retreat organized held in Don Bosco, Alaknanda, was an uplifting experience and the rendition by Rex Band had us all on our feet. (In fact they played the pulsating music early in the morning to wake us up and and get us into the hall.)

Revisiting Isaiah 60 this morning made me review all the blogs I have written on Isaiah.  They include Isaiah 9, 41, 53, 58, and 66. How was it possible that I had not written on Isaiah 60? In fact, I felt a deeper resonance with the chapter during this time of lockdown.

Today I felt specially blessed as I gave the manuscript for my third book of poems for typesetting yesterday. This collection of poems on Delhi has been waiting for the right moment and it took the lockdown to push it to press. I certainly felt 'the brightness of his presence' with me. (Is. 60.2)

As everyone scrambles to get home during the crisis, Is. 60.4 observes:

Your people are gathering to come home!
Your sons will come from far away.

As though referring to the seafarers stranded at sea the prophet asks:

What are these ships that skim along like clouds,
Like doves returning home?
They are ships coming from distant lands,
Bringing God's people home.                                    
                                           (Is. 60.8-9)

Today I arose at around 6.40 a.m. I hauled my yoga mat from the loft and spread it out on the balcony. It is East facing. After a long time I did the Surya namaskar and a few stretches. The 12 minutes or so did wonders for the lower back. I then trotted down for provisions for the day.

Yet again, Isaiah seemed to be in the know of things for I find these words:

No longer will the sun be your light by day
Or the moon be your light by night
I, the Lord will be your eternal light;
The light of my glory will shine on you.
                                               (Is. 60.19)

After Fr. Avin Carvalho from Don Bosco, Panjim, said the Mass, I went back to Isaiah 60. It formed an apt backdrop to his homily in which he mentioned that Peter could speak fearlessly to the Sanhedrin and witness to Christ because the apostles has experienced Jesus. (Acts 5, 27-33) Fr Avin said that for some of us it may be difficult to do the same as we have not experienced Jesus. We should use the long season of Easter to do this; to change our focus from the world to focus on Jesus.

Chapter 60 belongs to the third part of the book which contains chapters 56-66. This part deals with the restoration of the Jews in Jerusalem when they returned from their exile in Babylon, i.e. after 539 BCE till 520 BCE. It is believed to have been written by Third Isaiah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*http://www.divinehymns.com/lyrics/arise-shine-out-for-your-light-song-lyrics/  Pic courtesy chabad(dot)org from article 'Who was Isaiah' by Avrohom Bergstein. References biblica.com, New Community Bible, The Bible for Children by Bible Society of India. *For Byron's vivid account see https://lastbustovasco.blogspot.com/2010/01/byron-wolf-of-time.html

Comments