A Weekend in March


-Brian Mendonça

March always seems to have a plethora of activities lined up. This March is living up to its reputation too. What with the end of the semester in sight, final exams a breath away . . .  the end of the financial year . . . Spring festivities . . . and yes, COVID-19.

Seminars are usually slotted around this time. At the last one I greeted a lady colleague and spontaneously stretched my hand. She demurred at first, then accepted it with the greatest reluctance, her wan face contorting with discomfiture, saying, ‘We shouldn’t be doing this.’ Stung by the chastisement in public, I hastily withdrew my hand. ‘Fair enough’ I thought to myself seething in my seat in silence.

During the lunch break, another female colleague burst into the conference hall and proceeded to pump colleague number one’s hand and smooch her. As I watched in dismay I felt that there were always exceptions to the rule. In a few hours we would be celebrating Women’s Day anyway.

What was striking to me was the marked difference in the choice of topics between faculty and those by students at the seminar. While faculty stayed with traditional - if staid - topics in English literature, students blazed a new trail with fine presentations on new media, computer games, Canadian women’s poetry, graphic memoirs, fusion music, the transgender in advertisements, and the travails of house maids.  A critique of the portrayal of the character of Draupadi in Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni was adjudged the best.*

On the way back from the seminar I also scouted around for car seat covers. I was given a tip-off from Warren that I could try opposite the Mapusa police station. I stepped into Metro Auto Accessories, Garden Centre II, and picked up some nifty seat covers for a very reasonable price. Mahadev also fitted them willingly. Since the Royal Enfield genuine spares shop is next door, I also saw some fierce types swagger down and get what they wanted.

In the evening I took my laptop to the dealers at the Techno Park on CHOGM road. My LCD screen had developed an ugly black spot that was becoming larger like an amoeba. While replacing the screen Dwayzel said that it was good that the 15. 6 inch screen was in stock. Since China was manufacturing all the peripherals, it would be difficult to source these in the near future, he said as he rushed off to see FC Goa bow out of the ISL.

Next I went to repair my table lamp. After examining it, the amiable electrician said the LED light had fused because of a sort circuit. Since the Integrated circuits (I.C.) come from China, he didn’t have a replacement.

Dwayne started his piano classes at Talent Music Academy, CHOGM road.  The Saturday class has helped him – and us – to get back to music. When he sings and plays  it fills the hall. We just have to give him the confidence.
---------------------------------------------------------------
*National Seminar on ‘Assimilating the Change: Assessing the Role of Gender and Culture in the Post-Colonial World’ organized by Department of English, Dnyanprassarak Mandal’s College and Research Centre, Assagao, Goa, 6-7 March 2020. 

Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, Panjim, Goa on Sunday, 22 March 2020. Pic of  8th of  March postcard with Palekh painting by Konstantin Andrianov,. Courtesy puzzles-games(dot)eu  

Comments