Surya Noketranche Porim Porzolleta


-Brian Mendonça

To aspire to sing as part of a mando group requires practice and perseverance. A mando performance is made up of singers, musicians, and dancers who fill the stage and mesmerize the audience. 

The male and female lead singers stand in front. Behind them are the backing vocals which repeat the lines of the lead singers. Musicians play the violin, the guitar and the ghumot while the dancers in couples dance to the lines that are sung.

When I was approached by my students to join them to sing for a competition I was both excited and afraid.  Would I make the cut? How would I memorize the words in Konkani? And there was so little time. I was not confident.

I spoke to the group leader and said I don’t want to ruin your chances at the competition. But the next day that gnawing feeling of wanting to sing came upon me again. I approached the leader furtively and asked if I could train with them. They welcomed me.

Whenever I sing my songs on the guitar, we get into medleys like ‘Down by the riverside’. It would be nice to add the mandos  and dulpods to my repertoire. There was a huge demand for it -- especially from the elderly. It was my duty to carry the tradition forward.

The first time we met for practice I was very self-conscious among my students. The immediate challenge was not about singing but about swaying. In the mando, for the backing vocals, the girls stand in the front line, the boys in the back. While the girls swayed to the right the boys swayed to the left. Side-centre-side. Side-centre-side. For the dulpods however, the boys and the girls sway the same side. Right side-left side-right side, or for some beats side-centre-side, side-centre-side.

Next I had to get the tunes right. The stately march of the mando had to have the right emotion. The man is pouring out his love for the woman. ‘My love, you shine like the sun and the stars. My gem, my beautiful flower, I adore you,’ he pleads.

I knew some of the dulpods.  The fast medley of 11 couplets began reassuringly enough with ‘Cecilia mhujem nanv.’  This was followed in quick succession by, ‘Fulu hanvu jardinia tulem,’ Ago fulam bai,’ ‘Ful ful ful re rompea,’ and ‘Sant anichea dongrar pakle apoitai.’  The next set was made up of ‘Voiri voiri voir katta koi / kattkoi katta pilam,’ ‘Amani gomani nach baba,’ ‘Lo, lo, lo re babu,’ and ‘Ya, ya, maya, ya’ reaching to a climax with the ever so popular ‘Lia lia lo.

Regular practices helped a lot. Each person was trying to do his/her best. We were there for the love of the mando.  We were there for Goa. 

On the final day I found my voice and sang most of the lines with confidence. Listening to the songs, in my car, as I travelled to college helped a lot. Thank you students!
-------------------------------------------------
Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, Panaji, Goa on Sunday, 16 February 2020. Our team won the 2nd Runner-up trophy in the All Goa Traditional Mando Competition organized by Government College, Borda on 13 February 2020. Pix of students and staff of Carmel College, Goa at the event at Government College, Borda, Goa.

Comments