The IFFI (s)mile

                              
-Brian Mendonça

The first movie I watched at IFFI 2019 was at 9.45 p.m. It was the last movie of the day. I was not sure I would get to see the film. What made it special was that it was at Inox, Porvorim. So, after a homely dinner with the family I decided to trot over and see if I had any luck.

I had selected The Weasel’s Tale.  As I stood in the rush line I asked the support staff to help me with my online booking. Though my account was created as an IFFI delegate, I could not log in. ‘Incorrect password’ was the message I received.

The rush line is the separate line for delegates who do not have a prior booking, but still would like to see the show. Viewers in the rush line are permitted to enter the theatres only after the scheduled time for the start of the screening has passed.

Weasels Tale is about an ageing actress in Argentina, and a couple in real estate who want to con her to give up her mansion. The opening scenes of the rodents are repulsive but the ironic humour lifts the film.  

I planned to see Lingua Franca, at Inox, Panjim, the next day. It was the first show at 8.30 a.m. Isabel Sandoval, the director, plays the lead actress who is a trans-gender living in the US, fearing deportation to the Philippines.

While waiting in the rush line I remembered my password. I hurried to the Arts Gallery, at the Maquinez Palace next door, and booked a ticket for Antigone.

Antigone, is about a girl from French-speaking Quebec who takes the place of her brother in detention to save him being deported from Canada.

After lunch, I saw a film each by Spanish directors Amenabar and Almodovar, at Inox, Porvorim. While at War is about Franco’s rise to power in Spain. It is more about a conscientious objector who is Professor in the University of Salamanca.

Almodovar’s Pain and Glory is about a senior writer struggling with heroin addiction. The breathtaking way the film transits from one scene to another is seen early in the film. A man plays the piano in the first scene. The music is heard. When the camera comes back it’s another man playing another piano.

For the late night show at Inox, Porvorim I chose Papicha. Based on a true story in Algeria, the film tells of how a group of young girls are harassed because they want to put up a fashion show in college.

The next day I was back again at Inox, Panjim. This time it was for Lillian.  It is based on the life of Lillian Alling, who decided to walk from USA to Russia. She reached Alaska from New York City - and disappeared. 

Out Stealing Horses was my last film. This was about the life of an old man in Norway and his turbulent childhood.

IFFI 2019 was an invigorating experience. It was well-managed and the shows started on time. Congrats to Team IFFI.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, Panaji on Sunday, 1 December 2019. Pix courtesy latidofilms.com  Bottom: My Turkish hotdog with black olives at Inox Food Court, Mall de Goa, Porvorim.

Comments