Sunday in Vasco



-Brian Mendonca

I saw you waiting for me
Smiling, beaming in your
light brown bush shirt
and dark brown pant
Standing as you used to
in the market place
picking up fruit for home.
The coconut seller
from whom I used to bring
you fresh water is gone -
a bald spot on the pavement
marks her absence.
A group of travellers
elbow me on the way to the station.
(The Nizamuddin-Vasco Goa Express
leaves at 3 p.m.)
The sweet smell of the Jasmine flower
to my right, under what used to be
Cine Vasco . . . .
To Mangor Hill, a bike is Rs. 30.
The stairs reach into nothingness
The key in the door
Cannot open the past.
The garage door creaks
I sit in the Santro, headed for home.
An eye is meant to see things
The soul is here for its own joy.

(Vasco, Goa
Sunday, 2 June 2019)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo of copper pods in bloom taken by Brian Mendonca at Vasco market on 2 June 2019. Last two lines from Rumi.

Comments