Spellings and Grammar


It was another invigorating day at Bhavan’s. The teachers always inspire me and I try to do my best for them. The theme of the day was ‘Spellings and Grammar in our daily life.’ It was chosen by the amiable Principal Mrs. Elizabeth Valsan.

There was reason to celebrate, for the third year in succession Bhavan’s school, Zuarinagar had achieved cent per cent results. The dedicated teachers played no small part in their success. So before we began a cake was cut and we all sang ‘Congratulations.’

Taking a look at the books on grammar in the library, I decided to rely more on actual usage. I asked students to provide examples of wrong usages of English grammar. The survey buoyed me to prepare my presentation for I realized this was the elephant in the room. Every teacher is assailed by wrong English usage by students in class. I also found succour in internet sources which were very helpful.

I opted for a two-track mode of presentation. Over the span of an hour I read out the 5 words every 15 minutes and asked the teachers to spell them. The activity helped sustain their interest till the end of the session.

SPELLING : 1. Accommodate 2. Achieve 3. Argument 4. Chauffeur 5. Calendar

I provided examples of how Indians were using English in creative ways. ‘Sociology,’ for instance, was read as the Hindi ‘Soch lo ji.’  ‘Antiquity’ was demystified as ‘Aunty Kutty.’ The conflation of languages caused further confusion when the word is meant in one language but understood in another. For example, someone put on a WhatsApp group ‘Hoddo’s daughter passed away.’ I was wondering what this meant as I did not know any one by the name of Hoddo. It later transpired that the person being referred to was known in the locality by his Konkani nickname ‘Hoddo’ (which means ‘one who is bald’)

The common mistakes in grammar were:
1.      Subject-verb agreement: A singular subject must take a singular verb.
2.      Comma splice: The comma is used incorrectly in a sentence, thereby altering the meaning.
3.      Omission of comma: ‘Let’s eat, Grandpa’ not ‘Let’s eat Grandpa.’
4.       Misuse of apostrophe
5.      Ambiguous modifiers: inappropriate adjectives with words
6.      Spellings
7.      Redundant words in a sentence: students feel that the more words they use, the ore marks they will get

SPELLING: 6. Changeable 7. Embarrass 8. Guarantee 9. Independent 10. Colonel

Common errors of spoken English were
cope up with (cope with); many a times (many a time); anyways (anyway); revert back (revert); lot many (a lot); discussing about (discussing); called as (called); loose (lose); years back (years ago); give an exam (take an exam); emphasize on (emphasize); marriage anniversary (wedding anniversary); more better (better); take out the meaning of (find the meaning of); I saw a dream (I had a dream); suggest me (suggest); I live here only (I live here); I wish I was an artist (I wish I were an artist); Order for a pizza (Order a pizza); Me and my friends went for dinner (My friends and I went for dinner)

Examples of Indian English included
-Myself I am Bharati Naik. (I am Bharati Naik)
-I am having two brothers and two sisters. (I have  . . .)
-Does she has (have) a car?
-Today office is there? (Are we working today?)
-That only, she is very arrogant. (That’s what I said. She is . . .)
-Last to last year, we got married. (We got married the year before last.)
-What is the time in (by) your watch?
-I prefer coffee than (to) tea.

SPELLING: 11.Publicly 12. Millennium 13. Misspell 14. Definitely 15. Flourescent

The last section of the session was tense. We went through the various tenses:
TENSE
PAST
PRESENT
FUTURE
SIMPLE
She painted yesterday
She paints every day.
She will paint on Sunday.
CONTINUOUS
She was painting when the telephone rang.
She is painting now.
They will be painting the house tomorrow.
PERFECT
We had painted the house before the wedding.
She has painted many portraits.
By the time the rains come we will have painted the house.
PERFECT CONTINUOUS
She had been painting before she heard a knock on the door.
She has been painting since she was a child.
We will have been driving for eight hours before we reach home.
Source:easypacelearning.com

SPELLING: 16. Gist  17. Immediately 18. Preferred  19. Separate 20. Successful

The session ended well. The teachers were animated throughout. Teachers felt that it was a learning experience. Using incorrect English, by using words that are not necessary, is a waste of breath. This needs to be appreciated, particularly since the day was International Day of Yoga.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Resource person, Dr. Brian Mendonca at the Teacher Enrichment Programme at Bhavan's School, Zuarinagar, Goa. on 21 June 2019. Mrs. Elizabeth Valsan, Principal of Bhavan's School is also seen.

Sources
'20 Spelling Mistakes We Often Make' (2016) https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/grammar-vocabulary/story/20-spelling-mistakes-13883-2016-06-13
'14 Common Grammatical Mistakes in English and How to Avoid Them.' (2017) https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/15-common-grammar-gripes-avoid.html
'30 Common English Mistakes Indians Make' (2019) https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/grammar-vocabulary/story/30-common-english-mistakes-by-indians-318606-2016-04-18

Comments