Tomini Victory



-Brian Mendonça

The water melon was the last thing I had to pick up. Having done that - with a few chickoos and a bunch of bananas for good measure – I placed them in my car.

Nevertheless, my feet were drawn to the tantalizing shape of a ship in my eye of vision as I looked across the Mormugao bay. Much as I tried, I could not see the flag she was carrying. I went closer and though the flag was still mysteriously absent, the name was clear enough. Tomini Victory.

Tomini Victory is one of the ships of tominishipping.com  group based in Dubai. She is a bulk carrier with a gross tonnage of 33032. Length 189.99 m x breadth 32.26 m.

The port with the foghorns of the ships is one of the things I miss in Porvorim. The clatter of the trains leaving with unerring precision at their appointed times, and the almost ear-splitting sound of the fighter jets doing their manoeuvres high in the sky are part of a soundscape which only Vasco can boast of.

And then there are the familiar places I used to haunt. The streets which I used to walk are not like a ‘tedious argument’ but replete with smells, sights and shrieks (sometimes). Nowadays when I visit the port town I feel I belong yet do not belong.

From Temptation –the 24/7 snack joint in Vasco city I bought fresh loaves of bread, and chicken rolls.  I used to pick them up for dad when he used to be in SMRC hospital, Chicalim. There was also a request for the squiggles of bread. So I bought them too.  Baker’s Den was the next stop. I longed to have the freshly-baked white nankatai’s with a streak of red jam to top it. And how could I forget Dom Pedro’s snacks? His beef samosas were legendary then. They still are.


My Father’s House

-Brian Mendonça

Nosing down from Mangor hill
 I unlocked my father’s house.
The memories rushed at me
Over the dust on the table top
More than a year’s post
 sat on the dining table,
waiting to be opened
to the hum of the fridge.
The rooms
silent as death
pushed me outward,
malevolent as the rancid water,
clutching a poetry book
in my hand.

(Mangor Hill, 2019)

Tomini Victory was built in 2012 and sails under the flag of Marshall Islands. She was  in Villanueva port (Philippines) in February 2019 and in Novorossiysk (Black Sea, Russia) in December 2018. Prior to that, she berthed in Gelendzhik (Russia) on 30 November and Fos-sur-Mer (Southern France) on 9 November 2018.*

Ever onward, on its restless voyage, Tomini Victory has since left the shores of Goa and has travelled across the Indian ocean, through the Red Sea, to the Suez canal.
She is now in port Suez South Anchorage, Egypt. (marinetraffic.com)

For life and death are one
Even as the river and the sea are one.

                                 -Kahlil Gibran
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*vesselfinder.com.  Photo courtesy vesselfinder.com  Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, Panaji, Goa on Sunday, 14 April 2019.

Comments