A Presiding Officer’s Diary



-Brian Mendonça

My name was not on the first list which came around for poll duty.  My elation was short-lived as questions of self-doubt arose. Was I not good enough? Did I not acquit myself well in my earlier stints as Presiding Officer? These gnawings of the soul led to envy for those who were actually selected. I mean when do you get to serve the nation in your small way?

So when the second list came around and my name was there, I received the news with equanimity. This would be my third call of duty, the earlier being Dharbandora (2017) and Curtorim  (2014) .
A ticklish problem arose because we had shifted residence from Vasco in South Goa to Porvorim which fell in North Goa. With elections on the horizon I had already applied online for updation. I was amazed to see that our EPICs arrived well before the poll date in Goa.

The order designating me as Presiding Officer also mentioned that I would be assigned to Priol, Ponda. Where in Priol was anybody’s guess. This would be intimated on pre-poll day itself. I was already beginning to get a glimpse of the massive government machinery in place for the polls and how it moves.

There were three trainings. The first was in Margao at the South Goa collectorate. The second was in Panjim, at the Central Library, Patto. This was along with my four team members. The last training on the eve of the poll was only for Presiding Officers (PrOs) at the majestic Rajiv Gandhi Kala Mandir, Ponda. Trainers went to great lengths to point out the intricacies of the conduct of the poll to us. PPTs presentation, and Youtube videos were shared on groups formed for the purpose. Before poll day we were instructed to install the FieldSense app so our movements with the voting machines could be tracked.

I tried to instil a sense of purpose in my team members and acquaint them with the material we were receiving. None of the members was known to me before. I was keeping my fingers crossed that we would click on poll day. There were so many things to remember.

I arose on poll day at 5 a.m. and read Psalm 16 to calm myself. After following due process the polling began at 7 a.m. The next eleven hours till 6 p.m. we were on our toes. We had the experience of handling various kinds of people, from voters, election officers, police officers and support staff.  Everyone worked shoulder to shoulder to make the poll a success. I was ennobled by their simplicity and sincerity.

Senior polling staff visited us regularly to boost our morale and advise us on the steps to be taken next. Tasty meals were delivered to our doorstep since the previous night when we arrived at our polling station. Government vehicles transported us.

Nevertheless 25% of the voters on the electoral roll chose not to show up to cast their vote. I couldn’t but ask why.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Published in GomantakTimes Weekender, Panaji, Goa on Sunday, 28 April 2019. Photo of Farmagudi Residency, Ponda courtesy booking.com

Comments

Unknown said…
Brian - very nicely articulated and like the concept of national service in your article. For all its contradictions it’s amazing how the various machinery come together. Best