Renewing a passport




Brian Mendonça

A passport is not ‘renewed.’ It is re-issued after a span of 10 years. This can be done before the old passport expires or after it does.

I was aware that my passport expiry date was 20 January 2019.  But I simply did not have the time to get down to the formalities.

A vague fear held me back, as I was put off by the red tape that might ensue. But do it I must.  When all was quiet on the night of 16th January I went online to see what could be done. There were many spurious websites vying for my attention, and asking for money for their services. Surfing for a bit I came across the Passport Seva  website hosted by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India’s Consular, Passport and Visa Division.*

I started filling the form online and prayed that the connection would not snap.  The online form was simple. Depending on your case, you were advised to bring the relevant documents.  I was asked if I wanted to opt for Tatkal service or normal service. I opted for the normal service.  I was asked if I wanted to reserve an appointment for the verification of documents. (It was now past midnight and the date had changed to 17th January.) With bated breath I said yes. I was asked to pay an amount of Rs. 1500 being the processing fee, which I did online.

I was given an appointment on 18th January itself.  I was directed to report at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK), EDC house, Patto Plaza, Near Panjim bus stand, at 10.30 a.m. At the same time an SMS facility was activated to guide me about what I should do.  An amount of Rs. 50 for this would be collected on the day of the appointment. There is a shop opposite towards the right of the PSK which does photocopies and photos.

There were two changes I needed to incorporate. I was married, and we had a new home. To prove the first, I was asked to produce my civil marriage certificate. For the second I proffered my electricity bill. However that ran into a hitch as the name on the passport included my middle name as well which the electricity bill did not. 

Fortunately my bank passbook (with photo identification) reflected my new address to where we had shifted. It also carried my name in full. By 18th evening I received a message saying that my passport was cleared.

An email informed me that my passport was dispatched and indicated the booking number of the Speed post. When the postman arrived on 19th January I was at work. He left note asking me to collect it from the post office across the road.

I came home, had my lunch and produced myself at the post office. I came away with the passport. It had taken less than 48 hours. Now I want to make one for my family members.
-----------------------------------------------------------
*https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in   Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, Panaji, Goa on Sunday, 3 February 2019. Pix courtesy amazon. Also see film review 'Lost in Transit' by Rachel Cooke for The Guardian at https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/aug/01/features.review

Comments