Id ul Zuha with Bashir

This Id was specially sweet because we were invited by Mr Bashir to partake of the Id lunch at his place. It was a holiday so we had the day all to ourselves. Since Mr. Bashir lived in the area near Zuarinagar, it was also a homecoming for us having shifted to Porvorim from Vasco.

We also took advantage of the opportunity to visit the ongoing saptah - the annual 7 day fair in Vasco. In the middle of shopping I received a rather worried call from Bashir inquiring if we were coming. Most definitely, I said. The hands on my wristwatch inched to 3 p.m.

When we finally got to Bashir's modest abode we were greeted with smiles of joy and happiness. Many of Bashir's family had made it home for Id.  So it was a homecoming in many ways. We spoke about life. Both of us agreed that such gestures of greeting each other on festive days was very important in these times.

Lunch was served, but not before a samovar was proferred to wash our hands in the customary way. We felt we were treated like royalty.

The jeera rice and chicken curry with green masala tasted delicious. There were also pieces of deep fried chicken to go with it.What made it more delicious was the love with which every morsel was served. My son fell to the food with gusto, having walked from St. Andrew's church to the Vasco police station in the innards of the town. To clear matters, we were on our way to Max mall to hunt for some clothes to mark the occasion. Driving in from Porvorim and the walk had made me hot and sweaty.

I was glad I invested in some well-fitting clothes and seemed dressed for the occasion. I felt more confident in my new threads. It showed I valued the day, just as Bashir and his family.

As I waited for Queenie to come after her shopping at saptah, I wished Anis, my friend in Delhi. He had collaborated with me to do the cartography for my book of poems A Peace of India: Poems in Transit. 'Id is not complete unless you call,' he said. I wished his family well. I also called Professor Aslam in Srinagar to wish him and his family for Id. I had eaten at his place many years ago on Id in Srinagar.

All of us had a very enjoyable time at Bashir's home.The sweet sevia which followed was the crowning glory. Soon Queenie and Bashir's wife were exchanging recipes.

We had no hesitation to invite Bashir and family to our place on 25th December to celebrate Christmas with us. They said they would certainly make it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pix taken with Bashir and family on Id-ul-Zuha (Bakri Id) on 22 August 2018.

Comments