‘Ohhhh . . . it’s already a year?? Time flies . . . miss him’


-Brian Mendonça

The words in the title were a WhatsApp message from Dad’s doctor. She always had a kind word and a smile for him when dad shuffled into her consulting room. We had sent her an e-copy of the announcement for the first death anniversary Mass for dad. Though she practiced a different faith, death levelled us all. In this busy world t was one of the most poignant messages we received.

Soon after dad passed I felt cheated by life. ‘Why had he to go?’ I asked myself bitterly. The transition from a pulsating human being so full of life to a corpse, cold to the touch was beyond comprehension. Like Shakespeare’s Prince Hamlet one could savagely ruminate over God’s handiwork in his famous soliloquy, ‘What a piece of work is Man.’ This lofty creature must ultimately turn out to be ‘this quintessence of dust.’

I tried to distract myself by doing other things. Yet the finality of death keeps haunting you. ‘Could I have said this in a better way?’ the voices rise in accusation. I found a moment of refuge in haiku and yoga. Surrender to nature, to the immanent design seemed to be the best thing.

After 3 months  the black dog of depression rears its head. At a weekend trip to Malvan I am driven by desperate thoughts at dead of night of just walking into the roaring sea. You cannot escape the demons. They are inside your head.

Dance Movement Therapy unloosened the tautness of remembrance. ‘The body remembers more than the mind,’ we are advised Relax –relax- relax, the instructor was seeing as we lay on the ground. And as I felt myself plummeting, I fancied I was lying beside my dead dad. For the first time both of us were sleeping peacefully.

A gradual acceptance started dawning with a Vision Board workshop where I grappled with my guilt. I felt immensely blessed at the thought, ‘The Universe will sort it out for you.’ Prayer brings healing.

Around 6 months later we were invited to spend Christmas in Ernakulam, Kerala with the family. We observe the festive mood and understand that life is cyclic.

We spend time together as a family. We travel together to places both outside Goa and within Goa. We visit dad’s favourite eating joints and imagine him sitting there beaming.

Writing has sustained me. I don’t balk from sharing my experience. Perhaps someone going through the same thing can take heart.

As Queenie and I gently place dad’s photo on the shelf in the showcase in the front room, I realise that dad belonged to everyone. We were just co-travellers with him in this journey of life.   

Almost a year later I feel lighter. I am more comfortable with myself. I am done with recrimination.  I have jettisoned the ballast of blacks and blues from my wardrobe. I wear cool cotton kurtis.

After the Mass of remembrance the family gathers for a meal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, St. Inez, Goa on Sunday, 29 July 2018. Pix of pastel colour painting on grief and art by Gail Sibley 'Using art-making to deal with my sadness and anger,' at www.howtopastel.com

Comments

Unknown said…
VERY WELL WRITTEN. YOU HAVE A GIFT AND A MASTERY FEW POSSESS.