Be with us Mary along the way


-Brian Mendonça

Come September, the devotion to Our Lady begins. The statue of Saibinn Mai  is venerated in all Catholic households that care to keep her - for a day, that is.

The ‘pilgrimage’ is ushered in right from the 8th of September which is the birthday of Mother Mary. (The church where I went even sang ‘Happy Birthday to You’ after the Mass.)

Yes, I would not miss the service for the world. Ever since I knelt at the foot of Mary Help of Christians in the shrine of Don Bosco High School, Matunga, Mumbai as a kid, I feel that she has a special place in her heart for me. After all, wasn’t it there that I met Queenie, my beloved wife, for the first time? And was I not instructed (somewhat imperiously) by my sister-in-law to pray to Mary, that the meeting would go well?

Mary has blessed us manifold. It has been a smooth transition to Our Lady of Carmel who is my current protectress. Her scapular never fails to keep us safe.

So it is with a profound sense of gratitude that I go for the daily rosary followed by the litany in English held at 6 p.m. in the assigned house for the day. We go as a family. (My son is most relieved that he does not have to labour through the rosary when bedtime is nigh at 9.)

It is an occasion to pray as one big family of the society. It is also an opportunity to meet and mingle with people who one would never know otherwise. The activity is organized by the Small Christian Community of the society. 

Indeed, we spend so little time in prayer unmindful of the fact that, ‘None of us lives for himself, nor dies for himself. If we live, we live for the Lord, and if we die we die for the Lord. Either in death or in life we belong to the Lord.’ (Romans 14: 7-9)

As each member of the household leads a part of the devotion starting with the Angelus, I think of how we used to be ushered in the twilight, to say it in my grandmother’s big house in Gaunsavaddo, Mapusa. When the litany begins and the words fall like an eternal chant to the divine, I hear my mother, eyes closed, enunciating the words for the family prayer, ‘Virgin Most pure’ and the refrain ‘Pray for us.’  Hymns mark the end of each decade of the rosary. Some families will thrust forth their budding musicians to accompany the hymns on the organ or on a guitar.

After the prayers, the family hosting the statue will serve a snack or two. There is the customary chana, maybe a sandwich or roll or pattice, and a beverage. A person from the house that is taking the statue the next day will rise and invite the people to his/her house the following day. Ave Maria.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Published in Gomantak Times Weekender, St. Inez, Goa on Sunday, 24 September 2017. Picture courtesy Haver Vaz and Martina DaCosta.

Comments