Off trail trek - Netravali

Though my limbs ache I wanted to post that I am just back from a Sunday trek across a hill in the Sahyadris in Netravali in the deep South of Goa in Sanguem district on the lip of the Goa Karnataka border. I left Vasco at 7 am and was dropped back around 7.30 pm.

Why on a Sunday? I wanted to push my limits - and to see a Goa I had never visited in recent memory. As we bounded along in a sleek Toyota Qualis, expertly driven by our Tour leader I found a lyrical Goa with its pages unfolding . . . (to be continued - gotta hit the sack!)

5 Jan 2009
I am thrilled I could do it. The experience has introduced me to a new more confident me. This was all made possible through Off Trail Adventures and its proprietor Bianca Dias as part of one of the winter programmes (Dec- Mar) viz. 'Weekend and 1 Day Hikes in the Western Ghats.' The adventure programme also includes 'Snow Trekking and Skiing in the Himalayas' for the winter, as well as visits to wildlife and bird sanctuaries. At offtrailadventure@gmail.com

The group was largely young and lithe with a zest for living. I like the quiet efficiency with which Off Trail works. They do not take more trekkers than they can fully keep their watchful eye on. We were about 20. In the initial stages when my heart was pounding I felt I just could not go on, and I wanted to turn back. But I was softly reassured 'Go slowly. You don't have to keep up with the others. Go at your own pace.' Few organizers of the trek immediately fell back behind me to lend me that much needed motivation. Bianca later said - she was with us all the way, trekking with us, briefing us - 'Trekking is a mind game, fitness helps.' Chandu told me about using our second wind i.e. when your body can't go on, rely on your inner reserves of energy. That will keep you going for a long time. Believe me it did.

I loved the thrust into territory which was so mysterious, yet so replete with our deepest history enacted in our folk songs and dances. From Margao we headed South East via Quepem to Sanguem stopping at Tilamol junction to pick up trekkers, trundling by Zambaulim till we reached Netravali. Today there was a nice piece in the newspapers on the Dhalo - a folk dance of the Gawda tribals of the area. (More next post)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Brian...
How r u?...Hope ur Dad is also doing well...
I have finally managed to access ur site...have jus read ur piece on the trip 2 Rawan Dongor...is a really nice piece ...
By d way, for some picts on the trip do visit: www.facebook.com (john caldeira)... u might hav 2 create a new acct. - its easy 2 do so...Regds, John
Anonymous said…
Hi again Brian!
...forgot 2 thank u 4 d "9k-event"...I sincerely appreciate ur gesture...obrigado (u understand Portuguese!), Deu tuka borem korum!
Regds again...
John